McGrath named player of the year in W.S. League
March 27, 2002
Basalt High senior Molly McGrath, a record breaker for the Longhorn basketball team, was named player of the year in the 3A Western Slope League over the weekend.
The award was just the latest honor for McGrath, a four-year member of the Longhorns varsity team. Since Basalt’s appearance in the state tournament two weeks ago, McGrath has received the league’s Outstanding Senior Sportsmanship Award and been named to the 3A All State tournament team by the Rocky Mountain News.
After setting Basalt’s single-game, season and career assist records in her junior year, McGrath managed to surpass those numbers as a senior. Though team statisticians are still debating the exact number, the Rocky Mountain News estimates McGrath racked up well over 130 assists this season – not counting her performance at the state tournament.
Junior Longhorn Mariah Mulcahy was also named to the all-league list, after scoring over 350 points this season. Three Basalt players, seniors Christie Thompson and Steph Kemp and sophomore Lauren Redfern, who collected over 180 rebounds this year, received honorable mention.
BHS finished the season 25-2 and placed fifth at state.
The Aspen boys basketball team was well represented on the all-league and honorable mention lists, as its entire starting lineup was honored for its state tournament efforts. Senior Jeff Brence, who averaged 19.5 points a game en route to more than 500 points this season, and junior Nick Farrell, with 225 assists under his belt this year and an average of 18.9 point per game, were named to the all-league roster. Juniors Brett Mufson, Josh Lackey and Phil Salazar received honorable mention.
Recommended Stories For You
The Skiers placed seventh in the state tournament.
Even though the Aspen girls’ season ended in the regional tournament, three Skiers – junior Liz Suiter and seniors Mur Hale and Lacee Patterson – were named to the all-league list. Suiter averaged 18.4 points this season to pace Aspen in scoring.
Basalt senior and leading scorer Ki Mulcahy was the only Longhorn to make the boys all-league list. Teammate Dan Moebius, the Longhorns’ second leading scorer, received honorable mention.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases