McGrath is Player of Year
May 20, 2002
Molly McGrath, the Basalt High girls soccer team’s senior striker, was named the Class 3A Western Slope League Player of the Year this week. The honor comes a few months after McGrath earned the same distinction in basketball.
McGrath is joined on the first-team all-conference team by three teammates: sophomore Ashley Eaton, junior Mariah Mulcahy and senior Stephanie Kemp.
McGrath, Eaton and Mulcahy, the team’s so-called “Big Three,” all ranked among the top 10 in scorers during the regular season in all of Colorado’s Class 3A division.
Eaton led all scorers in assists with 23, along with 16 goals for 39 points, while McGrath had 20 goals and 10 assists, and Mulcahy netted 19 goals and five assists.
Basalt, the No. 2 seed in the 16-team Class 3A state playoffs, lost to D’Evelyn in a quarterfinal match at BHS on May 13 to end the season at 14-2.
Basalt seniors Christie Thompson, Natalie Hood and Lauren Flood were named honorable mention all-conference, and head coach Heather Walker was named Coach of the Year.
Recommended Stories For You
In the four-year career of Basalt’s seniors, including McGrath, Kemp, Thompson, Flood, Hood and Desiree Pynnonen, the soccer team won four straight Class 3A Western Slope League titles and advanced to the playoffs each year.
The Aspen High girls soccer team also landed several players on the all-conference team, a tribute to a 2002 campaign that ended in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs last week. Aspen concluded its season at 9-6 overall.
Senior striker Lacee Patterson and senior sweeper Kelly Waldron were named to the first team, along with Patterson’s younger sister, Lyndsay, a sophomore midfielder.
Aspen’s Alexa Meyer, Devon McCloskey, Meredith Moore and Nicky Boelens were named honorable mention all-conference.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain