Longhorns, Skiers on all-league soccer teams
December 4, 2013
The postseason awards are in.
Basalt and Aspen high school boys soccer players were among the fall athletes honored by the coaches in the conference.
Four players from Basalt were honored with postseason awards. Three players from Aspen High School also were honored by the league's coaches.
For the Longhorns, seniors Juan Abrego and Ivano Del Piccolo were voted to the all-conference team.
They helped lead the Longhorns back into the Class 3A state playoffs again this year.
The Longhorns finished 2013 with a 9-6-1 overall record and a return trip to the state soccer playoffs.
Recommended Stories For You
Two more Longhorns won all-conference honorable mention honors this season.
They were senior Ivan Loya and junior goalkeeper Adrian Lujan.
The Longhorns were coached this season by Brent Hayes.
Defender Connor Pierce, of the Aspen Skiers, was voted to the all-league team by the conference's coaches.
He's a junior and will return next season.
Two other Aspen juniors were voted to the honorable mention team.
They are leading scorer Joel Brice and two-sport fall athlete John Heaphey, who doubled as the kicker for the Aspen High School football team this season.
Heaphey, honored by the soccer coaches, was voted the kicker of the year by the 2013 football coaches in the conference.
Pierce, Heaphey and Brice all will return for the Skiers, coached this season by Dave Francis.
The Skiers finished the year 5-9-1 overall.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain