Longhorns kick off homecoming with wins
September 30, 2015
The Basalt Longhorns kickoff off their homecoming week festivities with a pair of victories at home on Tuesday afternoon.
The Basalt softball team, including players from Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork, rallied to beat Eagle Valley 11-8 in a game at the Basalt High School softball field.
The Longhorns, who came from behind three times in the game, reversed an earlier loss to the Devils in the season opener. Basalt dropped that game 14-3.
In Tuesday's big victory, Basalt sophomore Morgan Ash pitched a complete game.
Seven different Basalt players scored as the Longhorns hammered 11 hits against Eagle Valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Megan Nieslanik, a sophomore, had three his as did fellow sophomore Kate Schrock.
The Longhorns are coached by Marianne Gardner-Smith.
The Basalt softball team is 5-7 on the season, including a split last weekend. The Longhorns lost 14-5 to Faith Christian before beating Evergreen 11-9 in games played at Evergreen.
The Longhorns will host Gunnison in a doubleheader starting at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Next week, the BHS volleyball team will play at Coal Ridge in New Castle on Oct. 1.
The Basalt High School soccer team rolled to a big homecoming victory over visiting Rifle on Tuesday — 8-0.
The Longhorns had a first-half hat trick from Pedro Rivera. Juan Rosario also scored in the 4-0 first half.
Caleb Rewinkel and Pablo Rivera scored second-half goals for Basalt. Javier de la Cruz added two more goals as Basalt improve to 2-5-0.
The Basalt soccer team is 1-0-0 in conference play with the win over Rifle.
The Longhorns will play at rival Roaring Fork at 4 p.m. Thursday. They will host Coal Ridge on Tuesday. And they will play at Aspen on Oct. 3.
The Basalt High School volleyball team will host Grand Valley in a homecoming match at BHS at 6:30 p.m. Thursday. The Longhorns are 1-10.
The Basalt High School football team will host Grand Valley in the traditional Friday night homecoming football game, set for 7 p.m.
The Longhorns (0-3) and Cardinals (0-3) will be looking for their first win of the season in the nonleague game.
Basalt will open the Western Slope League season Oct. 2 at Coal Ridge. One week later, on Oct. 9, Basalt will play at Moffat County in Craig.
Basalt will host rival Roaring Fork on Oct. 16 before hosting Battle Mountain on Oct. 23.
The Longhorns will close the regular season at Aspen on Oct. 30.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails