Longhorns kick off homecoming with wins
September 30, 2015
The Basalt Longhorns kickoff off their homecoming week festivities with a pair of victories at home on Tuesday afternoon.
The Basalt softball team, including players from Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork, rallied to beat Eagle Valley 11-8 in a game at the Basalt High School softball field.
The Longhorns, who came from behind three times in the game, reversed an earlier loss to the Devils in the season opener. Basalt dropped that game 14-3.
In Tuesday's big victory, Basalt sophomore Morgan Ash pitched a complete game.
Seven different Basalt players scored as the Longhorns hammered 11 hits against Eagle Valley.
Recommended Stories For You
Megan Nieslanik, a sophomore, had three his as did fellow sophomore Kate Schrock.
The Longhorns are coached by Marianne Gardner-Smith.
The Basalt softball team is 5-7 on the season, including a split last weekend. The Longhorns lost 14-5 to Faith Christian before beating Evergreen 11-9 in games played at Evergreen.
The Longhorns will host Gunnison in a doubleheader starting at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Next week, the BHS volleyball team will play at Coal Ridge in New Castle on Oct. 1.
The Basalt High School soccer team rolled to a big homecoming victory over visiting Rifle on Tuesday — 8-0.
The Longhorns had a first-half hat trick from Pedro Rivera. Juan Rosario also scored in the 4-0 first half.
Caleb Rewinkel and Pablo Rivera scored second-half goals for Basalt. Javier de la Cruz added two more goals as Basalt improve to 2-5-0.
The Basalt soccer team is 1-0-0 in conference play with the win over Rifle.
The Longhorns will play at rival Roaring Fork at 4 p.m. Thursday. They will host Coal Ridge on Tuesday. And they will play at Aspen on Oct. 3.
The Basalt High School volleyball team will host Grand Valley in a homecoming match at BHS at 6:30 p.m. Thursday. The Longhorns are 1-10.
The Basalt High School football team will host Grand Valley in the traditional Friday night homecoming football game, set for 7 p.m.
The Longhorns (0-3) and Cardinals (0-3) will be looking for their first win of the season in the nonleague game.
Basalt will open the Western Slope League season Oct. 2 at Coal Ridge. One week later, on Oct. 9, Basalt will play at Moffat County in Craig.
Basalt will host rival Roaring Fork on Oct. 16 before hosting Battle Mountain on Oct. 23.
The Longhorns will close the regular season at Aspen on Oct. 30.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division