Longhorn girls improve to 22-1
March 6, 2002
The Basalt High School girls basketball team advanced to round two of regional tournament play after a 68-51 win over visiting Lutheran Tuesday night.
The win was the Longhorns’ 15th in a row. Basalt will now host the winner of Tuesday’s Pagosa Springs-Rangely match up at 7 p.m. Friday.
BHS got going early against Lutheran, outscoring the visitors 22-15. Sophomore Lauren Redfern scored 11 for the Longhorns in the first quarter, eventually ending the night as the team’s high scorer. At halftime, Basalt led 35-23.
Another sophomore, Autumn Caughern, put Basalt over the top in the third quarter – the transfer from Roaring Fork High scored 11 points, including one three-pointer. The Longhorns’ 57-33 lead began to dwindle in the fourth as Basalt began subbing in bench players, allowing Lutheran a slight comeback. The visiting team outscored Basalt 18-11 in the final quarter, but their efforts weren’t enough to unseat the 22-1 Longhorns.
Redfern finished the night with 22 points, followed by junior Mariah Mulcahy with 18, Caughern with 13 and senior Molly McGrath – the winner of the league’s Outstanding Senior Sportsmanship Award – with eight.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River