Leipheimer wins stage, regains overall lead
August 26, 2011
VAIL, Colo. – Levi Leipheimer edged Christian Vande Velde on Thursday in the third stage of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge to regain the overall lead after three stages.
Leipheimer, the Butte, Mont., rider who competes for RadioShack, completed the uphill 10-mile time trial in 25 minutes, 47.8 seconds. Vande Velde, the Garmin-Cervelo star from Lemont, Ill., was 0.58 seconds back. EPM-UNE’s Rafael Infantino, from Colombia, was third – about 41/2 seconds behind the winner.
“I didn’t expect it to be a half-second,” said Leipheimer, who won the Tour of Utah last week and also won the Tour of Switzerland this yeart. “But after what happened yesterday, I knew Christian would be motivated.
“I consider it a co-victory. We’re friends, we’re neighbors in Spain and we’ve doing this in the trenches for a long time.”
Leipheimer, who held the race lead for one day after winning the first stage, has an 11-second lead over Vande Velde with three stages remaining.
“I was really motivated,” said Vande Velde, who finished 17th overall in the Tour de France and was part of the winning team. “I want to rip the pedals off from the start.”
Recommended Stories For You
Tejay Van Garderen, the HTC-Highroad rider from Bozeman, Mont., finished sixth in the stage, 51 seconds behind. He dropped from first to third overall, 17 seconds behind Leipheimer.
Tom Danielson of Durango, Colo., was fourth overall, 21 seconds back. George Hincapie of Greenville, S.C., the winner of the second stage, was fifth – 53 seconds behind.
Tour de France champion Cadel Evans, competing in the United States for the first time since 2006, finished ninth in the stage. The Australian star is seventh overall – 1:18 behind.
The seven-day event continues Friday with the 82.8-mile leg from Avon to Steamboat Springs. The race concludes Sunday with a 70.9-mile stage from Golden to Denver.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Aspen parks its $2.6 million transit experiment