Leafs hockey splits with Steamboat
December 4, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team returned from its holiday break with a two-game split against the Steamboat Wranglers over the weekend.
On Friday in a game played at the Glenwood Springs Community Center, Steamboat won 3-1 behind two third-period goals. Aspen led 1-0 after a goal from Brett Hawkins, but the Wranglers scored later in the period to even the game.
After a scoreless second period, Steamboat scored twice in less than three minutes in the third period to pull away.
Saturday at the Aspen Ice Garden, the Leafs rebounded with a 4-1 win. Boston Lindlahr gave Aspen a 1-0 lead after a period and his second goal early in the second period was the start of a three-goal period by the Leafs.
Aspen, 9-8-1 overall, continues to hold second place in the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League. First place Pikes Peak (19-1) lost for the first time this season Friday, a 4-3 defeat to the Colorado Rampage. The Miners beat the Rampage, 7-2, on Saturday.
Next for Aspen is a two-game home series Friday and Saturday against the Colorado Thunderbirds at Lewis Ice Arena.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday