Leafs hockey splits with Steamboat
December 4, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team returned from its holiday break with a two-game split against the Steamboat Wranglers over the weekend.
On Friday in a game played at the Glenwood Springs Community Center, Steamboat won 3-1 behind two third-period goals. Aspen led 1-0 after a goal from Brett Hawkins, but the Wranglers scored later in the period to even the game.
After a scoreless second period, Steamboat scored twice in less than three minutes in the third period to pull away.
Saturday at the Aspen Ice Garden, the Leafs rebounded with a 4-1 win. Boston Lindlahr gave Aspen a 1-0 lead after a period and his second goal early in the second period was the start of a three-goal period by the Leafs.
Aspen, 9-8-1 overall, continues to hold second place in the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League. First place Pikes Peak (19-1) lost for the first time this season Friday, a 4-3 defeat to the Colorado Rampage. The Miners beat the Rampage, 7-2, on Saturday.
Next for Aspen is a two-game home series Friday and Saturday against the Colorado Thunderbirds at Lewis Ice Arena.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Aspen man, 78, finally completes the Continental Divide Trail after 35 years
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites