Leafs hockey splits with Steamboat
December 4, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team returned from its holiday break with a two-game split against the Steamboat Wranglers over the weekend.
On Friday in a game played at the Glenwood Springs Community Center, Steamboat won 3-1 behind two third-period goals. Aspen led 1-0 after a goal from Brett Hawkins, but the Wranglers scored later in the period to even the game.
After a scoreless second period, Steamboat scored twice in less than three minutes in the third period to pull away.
Saturday at the Aspen Ice Garden, the Leafs rebounded with a 4-1 win. Boston Lindlahr gave Aspen a 1-0 lead after a period and his second goal early in the second period was the start of a three-goal period by the Leafs.
Aspen, 9-8-1 overall, continues to hold second place in the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League. First place Pikes Peak (19-1) lost for the first time this season Friday, a 4-3 defeat to the Colorado Rampage. The Miners beat the Rampage, 7-2, on Saturday.
Next for Aspen is a two-game home series Friday and Saturday against the Colorado Thunderbirds at Lewis Ice Arena.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division