Leafs double up on Thunderbirds
December 9, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team overcame a slow start to cruise by the visiting Colorado Thunderbirds on Friday at Lewis Ice Arena, winning 8-4.
The game was tied 2-2 after a period, before the Thunderbirds made it 3-2 early in the second. Then, the Leafs scored five unanswered goals — three in the second period, two in the third — to pull away.
Tommy Bowe led the Leafs with three goals, while Brett Hawkins had two.
Aspen, which won its 10th game of the season Friday, will face the last-place Thunderbirds again at 7 p.m. Saturday in Aspen. It will be the final home game for the Leafs until Jan. 6. The only games between then and this weekend are two games at Steamboat Dec. 16 and 17.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Aspen’s affordable housing program faces budget shortfall