Leafs double up on Thunderbirds
December 9, 2016
The Aspen Leafs U20 hockey team overcame a slow start to cruise by the visiting Colorado Thunderbirds on Friday at Lewis Ice Arena, winning 8-4.
The game was tied 2-2 after a period, before the Thunderbirds made it 3-2 early in the second. Then, the Leafs scored five unanswered goals — three in the second period, two in the third — to pull away.
Tommy Bowe led the Leafs with three goals, while Brett Hawkins had two.
Aspen, which won its 10th game of the season Friday, will face the last-place Thunderbirds again at 7 p.m. Saturday in Aspen. It will be the final home game for the Leafs until Jan. 6. The only games between then and this weekend are two games at Steamboat Dec. 16 and 17.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Aspen Mountain will open Saturday with 130 acres, top-to-bottom terrain
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case