Kent Denver stops Aspen in Class 3A state soccer playoffs
October 25, 2014
No. 1-ranked Kent Denver ended Aspen High School's run in the boys state soccer playoffs Saturday.
The Sun Devils, the top seed in the 32-team Class 3A state bracket, scored twice in the first half and added another goal in the second half for a 3-0 win over the Skiers.
Aspen had opened the state playoffs a day earlier with a thrilling 1-0 win over The Pinnacle High School from Federal Heights in a shootout. The match was scoreless through regulation and two overtimes. But the Skiers advanced in the shootout.
Kent Denver avoided a possible upset at the hands of the Skiers, who ended the season 11-6-0 after reaching the second round of the playoffs.
The host Sun Devils improved to 16-1-0 and advanced to the state quarterfinals. Kent Denver will take on Coal Ridge High School of New Castle in the quarterfinals Oct. 31.
Coal Ridge advanced with a 6-0 shutout over Denver Science and Technology. Coal Ridge had defeated Sterling 4-0 on Friday.
Recommended Stories For You
The Titans are 14-3-0 heading into the match with Kent Denver.
Vail Mountain School also advanced to the state quarterfinals in Class 3A with a 3-0 win over Jefferson Academy of Broomfield. The Gore Rangers, seeded No. 5, had defeated Vanguard Charter 2-0 on Friday. Vail Mountain School (14-3-1) will take on No. 4 overall seed Denver Christian (13-1-3) in the quarterfinals.
Roaring Fork's bid to advance to the quarters ended Saturday in a 4-3 loss to Peak to Peak High School from Lafayette. The Rams had an early lead in Carbondale before Peak to Peak rallied. The Rams had been seeded No. 3 overall this year.
Peak to Peak, the No. 19 seed, will advance to play Colorado Academy, the No. 6 seed.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche