Juniors showcase tennis at annual Elks tourney
August 11, 2013
Junior tennnis players swarmed the courts at the Aspen Tennis Club this weekend for the 12th annual Elks Junior Tennis Tournament.
The event, supported by Aspen Elks Lodge No. 224, was held at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club.
"There were more than 50 entrants in junior categories from 18-and-under to 10-and-under tennis," said Gary Quandt, director of tennis at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club. "The Elks put out over 150 meals for the players and their families, and and we really appreciate their involvement."
He said local players as well as players from around Colorado and other states elevated the level of competition.
Local high school player Dylan Behr faced Dillon Leasure, of Carbondale, in the boys 16 and 18 finals.
They played a best-of-five championship final with Leasure winning 6-1, 6-0, 7-6.
Recommended Stories For You
Here are the other championship results from the weekend of junior tennis:
Boy's 14 singles: Christopher McKenzie (Austin, Texas) def. Alexander Ilic (Aspen) 7-6, 6-4
Boy's 12 singles: Christian Kelly (Aspen) def. Andrew Wiley (Carbondale) 7-5, 6-0
Boy's 12 doubles: Christian and Chase Kelly (Aspen) def. Caden Dundon and Jack Loftus (Dallas) 8-4
Boy's 10 singles: Caleb Zimmerman (Purchase, N.Y.) def. Chase Kelly (Aspen) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
Girl's 18 singles: Jamey Spahn (Crested Butte) def. Cassi Ahrens (Loma) 6-0, 6-2
Girl's 16 singles: Alexis Hamden (Clarendon Hills, Ill.) def. Rilee Kaliher (Littleton) 6-0, 6-0
Girl's 12 singles: Julianna Campos (Grand Junction) def. Helena Zimmerman (Purchase, N.Y.) 6-1, 6-0
Girl's 10 singles: Mari Elliott (Basalt) def. Zoe Crimmel (Aspen) 7-6, 6-7, 10-6.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- ‘Like an angel’: Mikaela Shiffrin inspired by cancer-surviving fan
- AVSC’s Hanna Faulhaber making a name for herself after Revolution Tour win
- Slovakia’s Petra Vlhova is a ‘very strong rival’ for Mikaela Shiffrin
- Aspen boys basketball beats Basalt to end losing streak; Longhorn girls win
- Freeskiing Open returns to Buttermilk venues beginning with Thursday quals
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain
- ‘Vasectomy zoning’ argument fails to sour Basalt council on project