Juniors showcase tennis at annual Elks tourney
August 11, 2013
Junior tennnis players swarmed the courts at the Aspen Tennis Club this weekend for the 12th annual Elks Junior Tennis Tournament.
The event, supported by Aspen Elks Lodge No. 224, was held at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club.
"There were more than 50 entrants in junior categories from 18-and-under to 10-and-under tennis," said Gary Quandt, director of tennis at the Aspen Golf and Tennis Club. "The Elks put out over 150 meals for the players and their families, and and we really appreciate their involvement."
He said local players as well as players from around Colorado and other states elevated the level of competition.
Local high school player Dylan Behr faced Dillon Leasure, of Carbondale, in the boys 16 and 18 finals.
They played a best-of-five championship final with Leasure winning 6-1, 6-0, 7-6.
Recommended Stories For You
Here are the other championship results from the weekend of junior tennis:
Boy's 14 singles: Christopher McKenzie (Austin, Texas) def. Alexander Ilic (Aspen) 7-6, 6-4
Boy's 12 singles: Christian Kelly (Aspen) def. Andrew Wiley (Carbondale) 7-5, 6-0
Boy's 12 doubles: Christian and Chase Kelly (Aspen) def. Caden Dundon and Jack Loftus (Dallas) 8-4
Boy's 10 singles: Caleb Zimmerman (Purchase, N.Y.) def. Chase Kelly (Aspen) 6-1, 4-6, 10-6
Girl's 18 singles: Jamey Spahn (Crested Butte) def. Cassi Ahrens (Loma) 6-0, 6-2
Girl's 16 singles: Alexis Hamden (Clarendon Hills, Ill.) def. Rilee Kaliher (Littleton) 6-0, 6-0
Girl's 12 singles: Julianna Campos (Grand Junction) def. Helena Zimmerman (Purchase, N.Y.) 6-1, 6-0
Girl's 10 singles: Mari Elliott (Basalt) def. Zoe Crimmel (Aspen) 7-6, 6-7, 10-6.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance