Jenny Ellis wins state Elks Soccer Shoot title
October 21, 2014
Jenny Ellis is a state champion.
Ellis, representing the Aspen Elks No. 224, won the annual Elks Soccer Shoot state title in the under-12 division last weekend at Salida.
The annual statewide soccer skills competition, sponsored by the Elks organization, begins with a local competition, hosted by the Aspen Recreation Department.
The Aspen shoot had 79 youthful soccer participants with 18 competing in Ellis' division.
There were participants from Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Rifle, Leadville, Breckenridge, Rifle and Salida.
Recommended Stories For You
The top finishers advanced to the state competition, staged in Salida last weekend.
There were 60 competing in the state finals in adverse weather conditions.
Participants came from Aspen, Trinidad, Westminster, Salida, Colorado Springs, Sterling, Crawford, Telluride, Longmont, Florence and Black Hawk.
The Colorado Elks Association hosted the teams at the Hampton Inn in Salida.
They also hosted a pizza and pool party for the participants at the state championships.
Ellis, the daughter of Chris and Audrey Ellis, won the state event and qualified for the Mid-America Shoot in El Dorado, Kansas.
She will compete against soccer players in her age group from Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas.
Ellis' trip to the Mid-America Shoot will be paid for by Aspen Elks Lodge No. 224.
Susan Arenella, an Aspen Elk and representative of the Aspen Recreation Department, will accompany the Ellis family to Kansas for the national championships.
Father Chris also will make the trip to the regional competition with Jenny Ellis.
The Elks organization also sponsors an annual local, state, regional and national free-throw competition for youngsters.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman