Jenny Ellis wins Elks Soccer Shoot regional title in Kansas
November 13, 2014
A state championship wasn't quite enough for Jenny Ellis.
The 10-year-old, sponsored by the Aspen Elks No. 224, added the Elks Mid-America Soccer Shoot title to her Colorado crown.
The Aspen Elks soccer player won the regional title over competitors from Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri and Colorado at the shootout regional competition in El Dorado, Kansas.
Ellis, the daughter of Chris and Audrey Ellis, was first in the 10-11 division for girls.
"She won," said Susan Arenella, an Aspen Elk and representative of the Aspen Recreation Department.
She accompanied the Ellis family to Kansas for the Elks regional event. "Jenny competed in the Elks Soccer Shoot beginning with the local shoot, sponsored by the Aspen Elks Lodge No. 224 and the Aspen Recreation Department," Arenella said. "Winners advanced to the Mountain District Shoot, including participants from Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Rifle, Leadville, Breckenridge, Rifle and Salida. And she won."
Recommended Stories For You
Ellis didn't stop there.
She went on to the state championships of the annual soccer skills competition in Salida. Competing against participants from Trinidad, Westminster, Salida, Colorado Springs, Telluride, Longmont, Sterling, Florence and Black Hawk, Ellis won again to advance to the Elks Mid-America Soccer Shoot in Kansas.
The event was held at Butler Community College in El Dorado.
For the regional event, the Colorado Elks provided the lodging in Kansas. The Aspen Elks provided the transportation for the Ellis family.
There are age divisions for boys and girls in U8, U10, U12, U14 and U16 in the Elks Soccer Shoot.
The Elks organization also sponsors an annual local, state, regional and national free-throw competition for youngsters.
Aspen Elks Lodge will sponsor the Elks Hoop Shoot on Dec. 11 at the Aspen Elementary School, from 3-5 p.m.
For more information, contact Arenella or Keith Bulicz at 970-920-5140.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football wraps up non-league play at Grand Valley, BHS at Paonia
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility