Hotchkiss cuts down Aspen 30-0
October 21, 2002
Unable to stop Hotchkiss’ running game, Aspen football lost 30-0 Saturday at the AHS field.
Hotchkiss’ ground game powered in two touchdowns in the first half, and Aspen couldn’t adjust to stop them in the second half, never forcing a Hotchkiss punt the entire game.
“They just overpowered us,” said AHS coach Tom Goode. “They ran down the field at will and we weren’t able to stop them at all.”
Hotchkiss improved to 2-6 in Class 2A Western Slope League play, Aspen slipped to 1-6.
“Offensively we did OK, starting out with a couple nice drives,” including one that resulted in a dropped touchdown pass, Goode said. “That probably could’ve changed the complexion of the game a little bit, but Hotchkiss is a good football team and it wasn’t like we gave them the ball in good position. They just ran the ball on us.”
Aspen sophomore quarterback Pat Faurer “threw the ball really well,” Goode noted. “We had some positive things happen in our passing game, especially the play action.”
Recommended Stories For You
Faurer finished 5 for 10 passing, while Aspen tailback Dusty Stutsman rushed for nearly 100 yards.
Aspen’s season finale is Friday at 2:30 p.m. at the AHS field against Eagle Valley, the No. 1 team in the league. Undefeated at 7-0, Eagle Valley clinched the title Friday with a 19-2 win over Roaring Fork, now the No. 2 team in the league.
“We’re going in with the attitude that we’ve got nothing to lose,” Goode said. “The season’s over Friday but I’m already going to call it a success ? we’re playing our first varsity year, we’ve been in most of the games and we’ve got a lot to look forward to, like getting into the weight room.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director