Hockey: Aspen turns back Summit Tigers
December 12, 2015
The Aspen High School hockey team combined timely scoring with equally timely defense Saturday.
The Skiers, in winning their second consecutive game, beat visiting Summit 3-2 before a lively crowd at the Lewis Ice Arena at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC).
Dominic Lanese opened the scoring for Aspen.
Burke Daily's goal put the Skiers up 2-1 in the second period after Summit had evened the score on a goal from captain Sean Costello, who was a dynamo on the ice for the Tigers (0-3). Costello logged more shifts Saturday than a UPS driver at Christmas.
With just 13 seconds to play in the second period, Aspen's Reece Cohen scored on a wraparound, assisted by Henry Godfrey, giving the Skiers a 3-1 advantage.
The Skiers generated two early scoring chances in the third period with one shot hitting the post and an RJ Peshek shot, on an outside breakaway, hit the outside of the net.
Recommended Stories For You
Summit closed the gap to a single goal with 10:07 to play.
Carter Flavell of the Tigers scored on a rush up the middle of the ice, assisted by Sean Gurlea.
The Skiers defense held from there and killed two Summit power plays in the ultimate 3-2 victory.
The Skiers held a slim margin in shots — 31 to 28.
The festive crowd included members of the Breckenridge Bucks and the Aspen Leafs, both members of the Rocky Mountain Junior Hockey League. They played later Saturday.
Aspen improved to 2-1-0 on the season. The Skiers beat Battle Mountain 7-1 last weekend.
The AHS hockey team will travel to Cherry Creek for a game Friday. They will play at Dakota Ridge in Littleton next Saturday.
Summit will host rival Battle Mountain on Monday. The Tigers will play at Steamboat Springs next Friday. The Sailors are ranked No. 7 in the state in prep hockey.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance