Hockey: Aspen skates past Battle Mountain
December 5, 2015
The Aspen High School hockey team scored six consecutive goals and finished with a 7-1 victory over visiting Battle Mountain on Saturday afternoon at the Aspen Ice Garden.
The Skiers, who had dropped their season opener in Steamboat Springs on Friday night, rebounded with an efficient offensive attack in the smaller confines of the Ice Garden to even their record at 1-1-0.
Burke Daily gave the Skiers an initial 1-0 lead with 42 seconds to play in the opening period, assisted by Dominic Lanese.
Battle Mountain, however, answered with a power-play goal from Robby Gruber with 10:20 to play in the 17-minute second period. He was assisted by Keaton Fedrizzi on the tying goal.
Just 11 seconds later, Daily gave the Skiers the lead for good with his second goal, assisted by Victor Dunn.
Reece Cohan pushed the lead to 3-1 with 3:30 to play in the second period. Ty Yocum assisted on the goal.
Recommended Stories For You
Less than 20 seconds later, the lead grew to 4-1 when Connor O'Brien poked in a rebound for Aspen. Spencer Shaw had the assist on O'Brien's goal.
O'Brien then opened the third period with another goal. And Yocum scored goal No. 7 for Aspen with another assist from Dunn.
Joel Rothman also had a third-period assist for the Skiers, coached by Dru Lucchesi.
The Skiers, with a 7-1 win and the 5-2 loss at Steamboat, will host Summit High School next Saturday at the Lewis Ice Arena at the Aspen Recreation Center (ARC).
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow