Briefs: Basalt softball beats Aspen, BHS soccer falls to Roaring Fork
August 23, 2018
Basalt softball handles Aspen in season opener, wins 19-1
The Basalt High School softball team cruised by host Aspen on Thursday at Upper Moore Field, winning 19-1 in the season opener for both teams. The teams were tied 1-1 after an inning before the Longhorn bats came alive with a 10-run second inning and the rout was on. This was the first game, and first win, for Basalt under new coach David Miller.
Aspen (0-1) won't play again until after experiential education next week. Basalt (1-0) is slated to play Tuesday at Gunnison in a doubleheader.
Aspen High tennis beats Durango
The Aspen High School boys tennis team moved to 3-0 in matches with a 7-0 win over Durango on Thursday in Grand Junction. The Skiers are now off for Ex-Ed.
Roaring Fork soccer overpowers Basalt
Recommended Stories For You
The Basalt High School boys soccer team opened its season Thursday with a 3-0 loss at Roaring Fork, the preseason No. 10-ranked team in Class 3A. The Longhorns faced the Rams missing many key players and with only one sub.
Roaring Fork's Aidan Sloan scored two first-half goals for the Rams in the non-league game. Gustavo Amador scored the game's third goal in the second half.
Roaring Fork returned 13 seniors from a group that made the Class 3A quarterfinals a season ago.
Basalt (0-1) is scheduled to host Coal Ridge on Tuesday.
Grand Valley volleyball beats Rifle
In the inaugural Anvil Point Clash, the Grand Valley High School volleyball team emerged victorious over the visiting Rifle Bears Thursday evening in Parachute, winning in straight sets 25-17, 25-20 and 25-12.
Grand Valley senior Shaya Chenoweth led the Cardinals with seven kills and three aces, while junior Jordyn Pittman was all over the court, recording two aces, one kill and 16 assists.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday