Glenwood’s Albert Blanc to be inducted into CHSCA Hall of Fame
March 6, 2018
Albert Blanc, a 1966 Glenwood Springs High School graduate, will be inducted into the Colorado High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame on March 24 at the Radisson Hotel in Denver.
Blanc, who was an all-state guard for coach Bob Chavez and the Demons during his playing career from 1964-1966, also served as an assistant coach to Chavez for one season in 1976. Blanc played basketball collegiately for the Western State College Mountaineers.
Blanc's head coaching career spanned four decades, and included stops at Delta, Falcon, Swink, Pueblo East, Discovery Canyon and Crowley County. Blanc's 1996 Swink team captured the class 2A state basketball title.
Blanc currently ranks fourth on the all-time Colorado coaching victories list behind Dick Katte (Denver Christian), Rudy Carey (Denver East) and Ken Shaw (Regis Jesuit).
"This honor is not at all about me. I never scored one single basket for any team I coached," said Blanc, via telephone interview. "This is about all the great kids I was lucky enough to be around in my career. It's been a lot of fun."
Currently retired, though not ruling out a return to the sidelines in the future, Blanc and his wife, Rifle native Becky Thron, currently reside in Colorado Springs.
Recommended Stories For You
Tickets for the March 24 event can be purchased at the CHSCA website.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- On the pitch: Learning the game of rugby during mixed touch nights
- Aspen Swim Club dominates home meet, heads to Grand Junction this weekend
- Record-setting endurance athlete to speak at Steamboat Springs library
- Aspen rugby club to host Steamboat on June 16 to open its summer season
- Alex Schrempf to take over Aspen High boys basketball
- Aspen housing authority forcing former board member to sell her home after renting it out
- Naked gospel singer in middle of Aspen road arrested
- Aspen’s controversial, historic Boomerang Lodge sells for $10 million
- Aspen apartment dispute leads to knife threat
- Judge tells man arrested in Aspen that sex offender registry is not punishment