Girls basketball: Roaring Fork stops Aspen
January 8, 2016
The Roaring Fork High School girls basketball team built a big first-quarter lead and held on for a 33-23 victory over the host Aspen Skiers on Friday night.
Roaring Fork went up 8-0 in the first quarter when the Skiers encountered turnover problems.
But Aspen rallied in the second quarter, outscoring the Rams 11-9 behind four points from Mckenna Woodrow and a 3-pointer from Claire O'Sullivan.
Roaring Fork answered in the third quarter behind Cindy Salinas, Lyndsey Hansen, Jasmin Lopez and Lily Ramos.
The Rams protected the lead in the fourth quarter, outscoring Aspen 6-3.
Salinas scored eight points and grabbed 11 rebounds for the Roaring Fork girls (3-4, 2-0 in the Western Slope League).
Recommended Stories For You
Hansen also scored eight for Roaring Fork.
Katie Weimer added six as did Ramos.
Woodrow led Aspen with six points.
Simone Lamont and Marissa Buchholz added five each for the Aspen girls (1-5 overall, 0-1 in league).
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Arrest made in Basalt bottle case after cops stake out dumping ground
- Jazz Aspen Snowmass close to buying building home to Eric’s, Su Casa and other tenants
- Stop Sucking: A grassroots movement to eliminate plastic starts at the bar
- Ex-Aspen Valley Hospital nurse files federal complaint
- New signs to be installed at Woody Creek intersection at Highway 82