Gents host Boulder for two matches Saturday
August 30, 2002
The Gentlemen of Aspen Rugby Football Club hosts Boulder Saturday for a pair of matches at Wagner Park.
The A-side game kicks off at 1 p.m., followed by a B-side contest at 2:30 p.m. The games will serve as Aspen’s final live tuneup for the 35th annual Aspen Ruggerfest Tournament, Sept. 19-22. Aspen, the six-time defending USA Rugby National Champions, has claimed 13 Ruggerfest titles overall, including the last six in a row.
“The guys have turned it around from last week,” Aspen coach Brian Going said, referring to Saturday’s uninspired effort at Vail that resulted in a narrow victory on a last-second try. “There’s a lot more desire I think. They all realized that we didn’t play particularly well.”
Going expects big things from his players as he tries to nail down the Ruggerfest lineup.
“This is it. This is the last opportunity for new players to make a mark [before Ruggerfest], a chance to put their hand up and be noticed. And that applies to the old guys as well,” Going said.
“I’ll be rotating a few old players in with the new guys,” Going continued. “I’ve got a lineup in my head, but it’ll also be an opportunity to work on some new things.
Recommended Stories For You
“There’s been more of the old guys coming back this week, but we’ve got some serious gaps to fill, especially in the front row. And the old guys are saying, ‘Well, we’ll help out,’ and thank goodness for that.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)