Fundraiser set Thursday for Nordic competitors
November 4, 2014
The road to the Nordic World Cup and the Nordic World Championships is long — and expensive.
Aspen will host a benefit fundraiser Thursday to help a pair of Aspen Nordic athletes as they take aim at the 2015 Nordic World Championships.
Cross country ski racer Noah Hoffman and Nordic combined skier Michael Ward will be featured at the fundraiser from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Limelight Hotel in downtown Aspen.
Pizza and beer will be served. There will be numerous items for a silent auction.
Proceeds will go to Hoffman and Ward as they tackle the upcoming Nordic competition schedule.
There will be more than 50 silent auction items, including U.S. Ski Team logo gear.
Recommended Stories For You
Tax-deductible contributions also will be accepted.
Fundraising is paramount in the Nordic arena this season after national funding for the Nordic combined program was slashed in the U.S. last year.
Hoffman is coming off an Olympic year when he raced for the United States in Sochi, Russia.
The Aspen native finished 26th in the 50-kilometer race at the Olympics after skiing among the leaders for part of that race.
Hoffman also finished 31st in the 15K classic race at the Olympics.
Ward, in Nordic combined, represented the United States at the 2013 World Championships in Val di Fiemme, Italy.
He will bid for the 2015 U.S. team for the World Championships.
Ward and Hoffman will be on hand for the Thursday benefit.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing