Fundraiser set Thursday for Nordic competitors
November 4, 2014
The road to the Nordic World Cup and the Nordic World Championships is long — and expensive.
Aspen will host a benefit fundraiser Thursday to help a pair of Aspen Nordic athletes as they take aim at the 2015 Nordic World Championships.
Cross country ski racer Noah Hoffman and Nordic combined skier Michael Ward will be featured at the fundraiser from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Limelight Hotel in downtown Aspen.
Pizza and beer will be served. There will be numerous items for a silent auction.
Proceeds will go to Hoffman and Ward as they tackle the upcoming Nordic competition schedule.
There will be more than 50 silent auction items, including U.S. Ski Team logo gear.
Recommended Stories For You
Tax-deductible contributions also will be accepted.
Fundraising is paramount in the Nordic arena this season after national funding for the Nordic combined program was slashed in the U.S. last year.
Hoffman is coming off an Olympic year when he raced for the United States in Sochi, Russia.
The Aspen native finished 26th in the 50-kilometer race at the Olympics after skiing among the leaders for part of that race.
Hoffman also finished 31st in the 15K classic race at the Olympics.
Ward, in Nordic combined, represented the United States at the 2013 World Championships in Val di Fiemme, Italy.
He will bid for the 2015 U.S. team for the World Championships.
Ward and Hoffman will be on hand for the Thursday benefit.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance