Football: Roaring Fork rolls past Aspen
October 3, 2015
Roaring Fork greeted the Aspen High School football team Friday night with a painful return from a week of ex-ed.
The visiting Rams, who stunned the Skiers with 24 unanswered points to open the game, rolled on to a 51-24 victory at Aspen School District Stadium in the Western Slope League opener for both teams.
The Skiers, who were out of town last week for experiential education, fumbled on their second offensive play Friday night, and Max Slack recovered for Roaring Fork at the Aspen 20-yard line.
Two plays later, Roaring Fork quarterback Hayden Bernot passed 22 yards to Alex Dominguez for the first touchdown of the game.
After forcing an Aspen punt, the Rams drove 75 yards in nine plays with Tyler Spence scoring on an 8-yard run.
Recommended Stories For You
The Rams' Finn Featherstone recovered another Aspen fumble on the next possession. And the Rams, using multiple formations, drove 54 yards for a touchdown in the drizzling rain.
Bernot passed 19 yards to Aldo Pinela for the score and an 18-0 Roaring Fork lead. The Rams missed their first three extra points.
Spence scored again in the second quarter on a 6-yard run as the Rams ballooned the lead to 24-0 with 6:04 to play in the half.
Aspen stopped the Roaring Fork scoring surge with a 67-yard scoring drive in 14 plays.
Aspen's touchdown came on an 8-yard pass from RJ Peshek to Nick Goralka with 24 seconds to play in the first half.
Nik Morgan ran across for the two-point conversion for the Skiers as Roaring Fork held a 24-8 halftime lead.
But Roaring Fork opened the second half with a 75-yard scoring drive, finished by a 51-yard touchdown pass from Bernot to Spence — his third score of the game.
A 34-yard touchdown run from Pinela further boosted the Roaring Fork advantage to 38-8.
Another Spence TD — a 30-yard run on a double reverse — increased the lead to 44-8. It was his fourth touchdown.
But Aspen rallied with a long scoring drive and a 6-yard touchdown run from Morgan. A Peshek pass to Tristan Niskanen netted a two-point conversion.
One more Roaring Fork score, a short run by Bernot after an onside kick attempt and three penalties against the Aspen bench, gave the Rams a season-high 51 points.
Jake Ferlisi of the Skiers broke free on a 50-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Peshek passed again to Niskanen for a two-point conversion: Final score 51-24 Roaring Fork.
The Rams improved to 3-2 overall and 1-0 in the Western Slope League.
Aspen is 2-3 overall and 0-1 in conference play.
The Skiers will host Coal Ridge next Friday night in the annual homecoming game.
Friday night's game in Aspen was the annual Donor Dudes game, sponsored by the Chris Klug Foundation to increase awareness about organ and tissue donation.
Each team wore bright green sock to mark Donor Dudes.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman
- Lawsuit: Deteriorating Snowmass-area house plagued by landslide zone