Football: Gunnison chills Aspen
October 4, 2013
The Gunnison High School football team held its position as a co-leader of the Western League on Friday night with a 14-10 victory over the visiting Aspen Skiers in Gunnison.
The game was played in cold conditions, with temperatures in the 20s and wind chills in the teens.
The Cowboys scored first to take a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.
Gunnison added another touchdown in the second quarter.
The Skiers answered with a touchdown and a field goal.
Gunnison led 14-10 at halftime; the teams were scoreless in the frigid second half.
Recommended Stories For You
Gunnison improved to 4-0 in league, matching the conference record of Olathe.
The Pirates beat winless Basalt, 34-0, on Friday night in Olathe.
The Pirates had rallied with three fourth-quarter touchdowns to win at Aspen, 28-17, last week.
Basalt fell to 0-6, 0-4 in league.
Gunnison is 4-2 overall, including Friday's win over the Skiers.
Aspen moved to 3-3 overall. The Skiers are 2-2 in conference.
Aspen will host Coal Ridge next Friday night, Oct. 11.
Aspen will play at Grand Valley on Oct. 18.
The Skiers will close out the regular season at home against rival Basalt on Oct. 25.
In other Western League games Friday night, Bayfield won at winless Coal Ridge, 27-12.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Aspen’s affordable housing program faces budget shortfall