Football: Gunnison chills Aspen
October 4, 2013
The Gunnison High School football team held its position as a co-leader of the Western League on Friday night with a 14-10 victory over the visiting Aspen Skiers in Gunnison.
The game was played in cold conditions, with temperatures in the 20s and wind chills in the teens.
The Cowboys scored first to take a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.
Gunnison added another touchdown in the second quarter.
The Skiers answered with a touchdown and a field goal.
Gunnison led 14-10 at halftime; the teams were scoreless in the frigid second half.
Recommended Stories For You
Gunnison improved to 4-0 in league, matching the conference record of Olathe.
The Pirates beat winless Basalt, 34-0, on Friday night in Olathe.
The Pirates had rallied with three fourth-quarter touchdowns to win at Aspen, 28-17, last week.
Basalt fell to 0-6, 0-4 in league.
Gunnison is 4-2 overall, including Friday's win over the Skiers.
Aspen moved to 3-3 overall. The Skiers are 2-2 in conference.
Aspen will host Coal Ridge next Friday night, Oct. 11.
Aspen will play at Grand Valley on Oct. 18.
The Skiers will close out the regular season at home against rival Basalt on Oct. 25.
In other Western League games Friday night, Bayfield won at winless Coal Ridge, 27-12.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division