Football: Gunnison chills Aspen
October 4, 2013
The Gunnison High School football team held its position as a co-leader of the Western League on Friday night with a 14-10 victory over the visiting Aspen Skiers in Gunnison.
The game was played in cold conditions, with temperatures in the 20s and wind chills in the teens.
The Cowboys scored first to take a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.
Gunnison added another touchdown in the second quarter.
The Skiers answered with a touchdown and a field goal.
Gunnison led 14-10 at halftime; the teams were scoreless in the frigid second half.
Recommended Stories For You
Gunnison improved to 4-0 in league, matching the conference record of Olathe.
The Pirates beat winless Basalt, 34-0, on Friday night in Olathe.
The Pirates had rallied with three fourth-quarter touchdowns to win at Aspen, 28-17, last week.
Basalt fell to 0-6, 0-4 in league.
Gunnison is 4-2 overall, including Friday's win over the Skiers.
Aspen moved to 3-3 overall. The Skiers are 2-2 in conference.
Aspen will host Coal Ridge next Friday night, Oct. 11.
Aspen will play at Grand Valley on Oct. 18.
The Skiers will close out the regular season at home against rival Basalt on Oct. 25.
In other Western League games Friday night, Bayfield won at winless Coal Ridge, 27-12.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Willoughby: The split personality of Aspen Mountain’s Spar Gulch
- How to see the super blood wolf moon on Sunday