Football: Coal Ridge edges Aspen 32-26
October 15, 2015
Homecoming heartbreak: 32-26.
Coal Ridge's Cameron Chacon ran 90 yards for the go-ahead touchdown late in the game and then Raul Ramirez intercepted an Aspen pass to seal the Titans' 32-26 victory over the Skiers in a spirited homecoming game Friday night, bolstered by a huge crowd.
In a back-and-forth contest where the lead changed hands six times, Chacon put Coal Ridge ahead for good with his 90-yard run from scrimmage with six minutes to play.
His dramatic run down the center of the field at Aspen School District Stadium stole the momentum from the Skiers, who had just taken the lead on a crowd-frenzying 54-yard interception return for a touchdown by Antolin Carreno.
RJ Peshek's extra-point kick gave Aspen a 26-24 lead with 6:43 to play.
Pesek had scored two earlier touchdowns in the second half for Aspen, including a 55-yard punt return for a score early in the third quarter.
Recommended Stories For You
The Aspen quarterback and son of interim head coach Chris Peshek, moved the Skiers back into position to regain the lead as the clock closed on 1:30 to play.
But Chacon intercepted RJ Peshek's pass to end the Aspen drive at the Coal Ridge 24-yard line, ending the Skiers' bid for a homecoming win on a tumultuous week that included the suspension of head coach Ryan Triece. He was ejected from last week's loss to Roaring Fork after drawing consecutive unsportsmanlike penalties in the fourth quarter.
The Skiers, led this week by Chris Peshek, opened the homecoming game with a methodical 63-yard scoring drive in 13 plays. Nik Morgan, who would rush for 111 yards on 22 carries in the first half, scored Aspen's first TD on a 5-yard run.
Jacob Morgan answered for Coal Ridge on a 55-yard touchdown pass from Jackson Sargent.
Jacob Larsen scored on a short Coal Ridge drive after the Skiers botched a fourth-down snap. The Titans drove 31 yards in six plays, taking a 12-7 lead.
Peshek's punt return, including a tip-toe along the sidelines, reclaimed the lead for Aspen at 13-12 in the third.
A big 64-yard kickoff return by Coal Ridge's Brandon Kuersten set up a 7-yard touchdown run by Jacx Power that reclaimed an 18-13 lead for the visiting Titans.
Coal Ridge scored again after an interception by Raul Ramirez.
The Titans scored on the next play when Sargent hit Morgan on a 41-yard touchdown pass — a 24-13 lead and the stage for the Aspen comeback that eventually was denied.
Coal Ridge QB Sargent finished with 101 yards passing on 4 of 10. He had one pass intercepted.
The Titans improved to 3-3 overall, 1-1 in the Western Slope League. Aspen is 2-4 and 0-2 in league.
Aspen will hit the road next weekend at Battle Mountain. The Skiers' next home game will be Oct. 30 against Basalt.
The Longhorns lost 38-7 on Friday at Moffat County.
Coal Ridge will play at Moffat County next Friday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche