Football: Center Vikings hold on to top Basalt
September 26, 2015
The Basalt Longhorns battled visiting Center play for play Friday night as the visiting Vikings pulled out a 13-3 win at Basalt.
"The kids really played their hearts out," Basalt head coach Carl Frerichs said. "The defense played phenomenal. The second-half defense was the best we've played all year."
The Longhorns' defense totally shut down the Vikings after halftime.
But Center took advantage of opportunities for a 13-3 halftime lead and the eventual 13-3 victory.
David Flores hit a short field goal for the Basalt points Friday night.
"The offense shot itself in the foot tonight," Frerichs said, pointing to crucial penalties. Several times the Longhorns threatened, only to be turned back by untimely flags.
Recommended Stories For You
Frerichs said Kyle Roberts came in for injured quarterback Miles Levy and did a good job against the 2-0 Vikings, who scored 48 points in a win against Salida last week.
Rickey Perez had a strong rushing game for Basalt, Frerichs said.
"I'm just super proud of the kids' effort," he said of the youthful Longhorns, who start four sophomores and two freshmen.
In other area scores Friday night:
Roaring Fork 42, Grand Valley 13
Eagle Valley 21, Battle Mountain 7
Meeker 36, Coal Ridge 6
Monte Vista 10, Gunnison 9
Buena Vista 42, Hotchkiss 7
Cedaredge 14, Olathe 12
Conifer 27, Glenwood Springs 12
Rifle 61, Jefferson 0
Fruita Monument 23, Grand Junction 0
Paonia 49, Ignacio 0
Montrose 28, Lakewood 3
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche