Football: Basalt nips Coal Ridge; Moffat Co. next
October 2, 2015
The Basalt High School football team won its Western Slope League opener Friday night in New Castle.
The Longhorns of coach Carl Frerichs edged Coal Ridge 7-3 on a blustery evening for their second consecutive victory.
"Really proud of our kids," Basalt head coach Carl Frerichs said. "It's a big win for us."
Coal Ridge held a 3-0 halftime lead.
But Basalt opened the third quarter with a sustained drive.
"Kyle Roberts had a huge catch on the drive," Frerichs said.
Recommended Stories For You
Quarterback Miles Levy ran a sneak from a yard out for the touchdown. David Flores added the extra point for the only scoring in the second half.
"The defense played phenomenally all night," Frerichs said. "Ian Lumsden, the whole defensive line played great. Will Chadbourne had a huge play to break up a pass."
He said the windy weather affected the passing game at New Castle. A bit of light rain also fell, he said.
"Yes, we needed this one," Frerichs said.
Basalt improved to 1-0 in conference play, 2-3 overall.
Coal Ridge dropped to 0-1 in league; the Titans are 2-3 overall.
Basalt will make the long trip to Craig next Friday night to take on Moffat County.
In other regional scores Friday:
Moffat Co. 24, Battle Mtn. 7
Gunnison 28, Cortez 6
Bayfield 42, Olathe 7
Delta 35, Rifle 21
Eagle Valley 10, Summit 0
Meeker 45, Lake County 14
Paonia 65, Grand Valley 0
Cedaredge 19, Hotchkiss 12
Palisade 42, Glenwood Springs 0 (Thursday night)
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American