Football: Basalt beats Roaring Fork
October 16, 2015
The Basalt High School football team turned back rival Roaring Fork 21-17 on Friday night in a key Western Slope League game.
"This is the best we've played all season," Basalt head coach Carl Frerichs said after the Longhorns improved to 2-1 in conference, 3-4 overall. "The defense really played hard and the offensive live played the best of all season."
Kyle Roberts scored one Basalt touchdown on a pass from quarterback Miles Levy.
Ian Lumsden scored on two touchdown runs for the Longhorns.
Roaring Fork led early 7-0 before the Basalt offense picked up momentum.
Frerichs said the offensive line had an outstanding game, led by center Oswaldo Morales, guards Cullen White and Jake Reuss and tackles Thomas Wirth and Tita Ramos.
Recommended Stories For You
Tight end Raul Torres and fullback Alex Alberto bolstered the best rushing attack of the year for Basalt, Frerichs said. He said the Basalt seniors rallied the Longhorns in the tough game against the visiting Rams.
Basalt will host Battle Mountain in another key league game nest Friday night. Battle Mountain beat Aspen 54-6 on Friday night.
"Really proud of the boys; best game of the year," Frerichs said.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman
- Lawsuit: Deteriorating Snowmass-area house plagued by landslide zone