Football: Basalt beats Roaring Fork
October 16, 2015
The Basalt High School football team turned back rival Roaring Fork 21-17 on Friday night in a key Western Slope League game.
"This is the best we've played all season," Basalt head coach Carl Frerichs said after the Longhorns improved to 2-1 in conference, 3-4 overall. "The defense really played hard and the offensive live played the best of all season."
Kyle Roberts scored one Basalt touchdown on a pass from quarterback Miles Levy.
Ian Lumsden scored on two touchdown runs for the Longhorns.
Roaring Fork led early 7-0 before the Basalt offense picked up momentum.
Frerichs said the offensive line had an outstanding game, led by center Oswaldo Morales, guards Cullen White and Jake Reuss and tackles Thomas Wirth and Tita Ramos.
Recommended Stories For You
Tight end Raul Torres and fullback Alex Alberto bolstered the best rushing attack of the year for Basalt, Frerichs said. He said the Basalt seniors rallied the Longhorns in the tough game against the visiting Rams.
Basalt will host Battle Mountain in another key league game nest Friday night. Battle Mountain beat Aspen 54-6 on Friday night.
"Really proud of the boys; best game of the year," Frerichs said.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Vail’s Lindsey Vonn hurts knee: No surgery, but she’ll miss Lake Louise
- James Aldridge, wife Lindsey, take over Aspen High School girls basketball
- U.S. Grand Prix halfpipe competition set for Dec 5-8 at Copper Mountain
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Private club executive at Snowmass cited for harassing text messages
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner
- Snow, ski pass war and new Limelight expected to boost Aspen-Snowmass