Football: Basalt beats Roaring Fork
October 16, 2015
The Basalt High School football team turned back rival Roaring Fork 21-17 on Friday night in a key Western Slope League game.
"This is the best we've played all season," Basalt head coach Carl Frerichs said after the Longhorns improved to 2-1 in conference, 3-4 overall. "The defense really played hard and the offensive live played the best of all season."
Kyle Roberts scored one Basalt touchdown on a pass from quarterback Miles Levy.
Ian Lumsden scored on two touchdown runs for the Longhorns.
Roaring Fork led early 7-0 before the Basalt offense picked up momentum.
Frerichs said the offensive line had an outstanding game, led by center Oswaldo Morales, guards Cullen White and Jake Reuss and tackles Thomas Wirth and Tita Ramos.
Recommended Stories For You
Tight end Raul Torres and fullback Alex Alberto bolstered the best rushing attack of the year for Basalt, Frerichs said. He said the Basalt seniors rallied the Longhorns in the tough game against the visiting Rams.
Basalt will host Battle Mountain in another key league game nest Friday night. Battle Mountain beat Aspen 54-6 on Friday night.
"Really proud of the boys; best game of the year," Frerichs said.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Shiffrin scales back schedule to avoid more fatigue, to skip upcoming downhills
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7