Football: Aspen head coach suspended
October 13, 2015
Aspen High School head football coach Ryan Triece will miss this week's homecoming game against Coal Ridge, set for Friday night.
Triece was suspended for this week's game when he was ejected from last Friday's home loss to Roaring Fork at Aspen School District Stadium. Triece and assistant coach Jerry Triece, Ryan's father, both were ejected in the fourth quarter of the 51-24 loss to the Rams.
They were ejected for drawing three consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. As per CHSAA regulations, both Trieces are suspended for this week's Aspen game because of their ejections last week..
Aspen High School Principal Tharyn Mulberry confirmed the suspensions in an interview with The Aspen Times.
"He (Ryan Triece) will not be coaching this week," Mulberry said, citing the CHSAA regulations that mandate a suspension when a coach is ejected. "We are also looking at this as a personnel matter."
Mulberry said Aspen School District officials will review the situation separate and apart from the CHSAA review. He said school officials submitted a report to CHSAA concerning the ejections last week by the game officials.
Recommended Stories For You
CHSAA may or may not recommend additional action, he said, including possible classes or training courses, etc.
"It's really important that Aspen High School abide by the letter of the rules and follow the spirit of the rules," Mulberry said. "We want to exemplify good sportsmanship."
He said it is important that the young men and young women at Aspen High School understand the importance of sportsmanship. Coaches, he said, must embrace good sportsmanship.
Mulberry said he will be meeting soon with parents to explain the suspensions of the football coaches.
He said assistant coach Chris Peshek will take over as head coach for the Skiers in their 7 p.m. homecoming game Friday against visiting Coal Ridge.
Aspen is 2-3 overall, 0-1 in the Western Slope League.
Coal Ridge also is 2-3 overall, 0-1 in conference play.
Ryan Triece, in his second season as the head coach of the Skiers, was voted the Western Slope League coach of the year by his fellow coaches last season.
Jerry Triece was the longtime head football coach at Marshall High School in Michigan before joining his son's staff at Aspen. Ryan Triece, a standout player for his father at Marshall, went on to play college football at Central Michigan.
Ryan Triece also is a former head baseball coach at Aspen High School.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases