Football: Aspen head coach suspended
October 13, 2015
Aspen High School head football coach Ryan Triece will miss this week's homecoming game against Coal Ridge, set for Friday night.
Triece was suspended for this week's game when he was ejected from last Friday's home loss to Roaring Fork at Aspen School District Stadium. Triece and assistant coach Jerry Triece, Ryan's father, both were ejected in the fourth quarter of the 51-24 loss to the Rams.
They were ejected for drawing three consecutive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. As per CHSAA regulations, both Trieces are suspended for this week's Aspen game because of their ejections last week..
Aspen High School Principal Tharyn Mulberry confirmed the suspensions in an interview with The Aspen Times.
"He (Ryan Triece) will not be coaching this week," Mulberry said, citing the CHSAA regulations that mandate a suspension when a coach is ejected. "We are also looking at this as a personnel matter."
Mulberry said Aspen School District officials will review the situation separate and apart from the CHSAA review. He said school officials submitted a report to CHSAA concerning the ejections last week by the game officials.
Recommended Stories For You
CHSAA may or may not recommend additional action, he said, including possible classes or training courses, etc.
"It's really important that Aspen High School abide by the letter of the rules and follow the spirit of the rules," Mulberry said. "We want to exemplify good sportsmanship."
He said it is important that the young men and young women at Aspen High School understand the importance of sportsmanship. Coaches, he said, must embrace good sportsmanship.
Mulberry said he will be meeting soon with parents to explain the suspensions of the football coaches.
He said assistant coach Chris Peshek will take over as head coach for the Skiers in their 7 p.m. homecoming game Friday against visiting Coal Ridge.
Aspen is 2-3 overall, 0-1 in the Western Slope League.
Coal Ridge also is 2-3 overall, 0-1 in conference play.
Ryan Triece, in his second season as the head coach of the Skiers, was voted the Western Slope League coach of the year by his fellow coaches last season.
Jerry Triece was the longtime head football coach at Marshall High School in Michigan before joining his son's staff at Aspen. Ryan Triece, a standout player for his father at Marshall, went on to play college football at Central Michigan.
Ryan Triece also is a former head baseball coach at Aspen High School.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Aspen on the Hill: Zombie people of the Rio Grande Trail
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites