First win for Basalt football
September 19, 2014
The wait is over.
The Basalt High School football team can celebrate.
The Longhorns won their first game of the season Friday night in emphatic fashion, beating Grand Valley 31-14 in a road game at Parachute.
"The offensive line really came together and played well," Basalt head coach Carl Frerichs said after the Longhorns rushed for more than 200 yards.
Alex Nakagawa scored two first-half touchdowns to help stake the Longhorns to a 17-7 halftime lead.
He scored on a 20-yard run in the first quarter and scored again in the second quarter on a short run.
Recommended Stories For You
David Flores added a field goal for Basalt's 10-point halftime edge.
Quarterback Miles Levy connected with Nakagawa on a 53-yard touchdown pass play in the third quarter.
And Basalt's Josue Vigil added another TD for the Longhorns as they extended their third-quarter lead to 31-7.
"Jose Rosales was outstanding on defense for us," Frerichs said.
"I'm really proud of the guys," he said after the Longhorns improved to 1-3. "We're looking forward to opening the league season."
The Longhorns will open Western Slope North League play next Friday night at home against Coal Ridge.
The Titans (2-2) lost Friday night at Olathe 42-13.
Grand Valley slipped to 0-4 with the loss to the Longhorns.
In other games Friday night involving area teams, Roaring Fork lost 48-0 at Gunnison.
Delta whipped Steamboat Springs 55-0 in a clash of 3A teams.
Rifle beat Eagle Valley 35-12 in a 3A showdown of previously unbeaten teams.
Glenwood Springs beat Grand Junction Central 44-26 at Stocker Stadium in Grand Junction.
Heritage beat Grand Junction High School 28-9.
Cedaredge, the team that has beaten Basalt and Aspen, improved to 4-0 with a 27-6 win over Center.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Willoughby: The split personality of Aspen Mountain’s Spar Gulch
- How to see the super blood wolf moon on Sunday