Faith Christian marches on in 2A football playoffs
November 9, 2013
Faith Christian High School's football team, after beating Aspen last week in the first round of the Class 2A state playoffs, followed suit this week with a 48-0 victory over Gunnision.
The Eagles, seeded No. 4 in the 16-team playoff bracket, shut out the No. 5 Cowboys, who had won the Western League title this year.
Faith Christian beat Aspen, 49-14, last weekend in Arvada. Gunnison, winless a year ago, finished the season 8-3.
Faith Christian (9-2) will advance to the Class 2A state semifinals next week and a game against No. 1 seed, undefeated Brush (10-0).
Brush eliminated 2011 state champion Florence by a 33-14 margin Saturday in Brush. Florence ended the season 8-3.
In the other half of the Class 2A state bracket, No. 2 overall seed Manitou Springs won a close contest against defending state champion Kent Denver.
Recommended Stories For You
The final was 9-7 with undefeated Manitou Springs (11-0) advancing to the state semifinals next week.
Kent Denver closed the year 8-3.
Manitou will play No. 3 seed Platte Valley next week.
Platte Valley (9-1) eliminated Bennett, 48-11, on Saturday afternoon. Bennett finished the year 8-3.
The state semifinals, then, will match the No. 1 seed against the No. 4 seed and the No. 2 seed against the No 3 seed in Colorado Class 2A football.
In other prep football playoff games Saturday, Glenwood Springs edged Elizabeth, 14-13, in a Class 3A first-round game. The Demons are 8-3.
Rifle, meanwhile, lost a 34-31 shootout at Coronado in Colorado Springs. Rifle finished 8-3.
Palisade improved to 10-1 in the 3A ranks with a 35-25 win over Lutheran.
In Class 4A games, Montrose eliminated Montbello, 31-25, and Durango fell at Denver South, 36-26.
In Class 1A, Paonia (10-1) eliminated Monte Vista (8-3) by a 31-15 margin. Also in 1A, unbeaten Buena Vista (11-0) defeated Resurrection Christian, 42-35.
On Friday, Grand Junction lost in the 5A playoffs at Columbine, 41-6.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Mikaela Shiffrin finally conquers elusive giant slalom in Italy for 53rd career win
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Aspen School District, HR director part ways
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis