Faith Christian marches on in 2A football playoffs
November 9, 2013
Faith Christian High School's football team, after beating Aspen last week in the first round of the Class 2A state playoffs, followed suit this week with a 48-0 victory over Gunnision.
The Eagles, seeded No. 4 in the 16-team playoff bracket, shut out the No. 5 Cowboys, who had won the Western League title this year.
Faith Christian beat Aspen, 49-14, last weekend in Arvada. Gunnison, winless a year ago, finished the season 8-3.
Faith Christian (9-2) will advance to the Class 2A state semifinals next week and a game against No. 1 seed, undefeated Brush (10-0).
Brush eliminated 2011 state champion Florence by a 33-14 margin Saturday in Brush. Florence ended the season 8-3.
In the other half of the Class 2A state bracket, No. 2 overall seed Manitou Springs won a close contest against defending state champion Kent Denver.
Recommended Stories For You
The final was 9-7 with undefeated Manitou Springs (11-0) advancing to the state semifinals next week.
Kent Denver closed the year 8-3.
Manitou will play No. 3 seed Platte Valley next week.
Platte Valley (9-1) eliminated Bennett, 48-11, on Saturday afternoon. Bennett finished the year 8-3.
The state semifinals, then, will match the No. 1 seed against the No. 4 seed and the No. 2 seed against the No 3 seed in Colorado Class 2A football.
In other prep football playoff games Saturday, Glenwood Springs edged Elizabeth, 14-13, in a Class 3A first-round game. The Demons are 8-3.
Rifle, meanwhile, lost a 34-31 shootout at Coronado in Colorado Springs. Rifle finished 8-3.
Palisade improved to 10-1 in the 3A ranks with a 35-25 win over Lutheran.
In Class 4A games, Montrose eliminated Montbello, 31-25, and Durango fell at Denver South, 36-26.
In Class 1A, Paonia (10-1) eliminated Monte Vista (8-3) by a 31-15 margin. Also in 1A, unbeaten Buena Vista (11-0) defeated Resurrection Christian, 42-35.
On Friday, Grand Junction lost in the 5A playoffs at Columbine, 41-6.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen swimmer Davy Brown announces commitment to Colorado Mesa in GJ
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Saying goodbye to the fall high school sports season
- Bodhi Yang, the 12-year-old NEPSA winner, is fighting climate change
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area
- Father of man accused of starting Lake Christine Fire asks for trial in trespass case
- Man’s theft spree in Aspen includes roll of fake grass, Prada items
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division