Delta turns up heat on Skiers
September 7, 2013
The heat finally caught up with the Aspen Skiers.
The Aspen High School boys soccer team, playing in the scorching heat at Delta on Saturday, battled the host Panthers in a one-goal match.
Until late in the second half.
Final score: Delta 4, Aspen 1.
'"It was a very hot day. We kind of ran out of steam," Aspen head coach Dave Francis said. "But the boys battled hard."
He said the game was a 2-1 margin for much of the middle park of the match.
Recommended Stories For You
"The last 10 minutes, we just ran out of steam," he said after the Skiers experienced their first loss of the season.
"It was a good, tough test for us. We needed to know hwere we are at," Francis siad.
Joel Brice scored Aspen's goal on a counterattack.
"Conner Peirce and Nikko Wehse played well for us," the first-year Aspen head coach said.
"Max Marolt played a good game … and (Jorge) Esparaza played well," he said.
"Our defense, in general, worked well together. They back four did a good job," Francis said after the Skiers moved to 1-1-0 on the season.
They had opened play with a 3-1 victory at Grand Valley (Parachute) earlier last week.
Brice scored all three Aspen goals in that victory.
The Aspen boys will return to the pitch Tuesday for a game in Carbondale against Roaring Fork (4 p.m.).
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Season likely over for Basalt’s Torin Yater-Wallace after Dew Tour injury
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7