Delta ousts Glenwood from prep football playoffs
November 16, 2013
The state football playoff run for the Glenwood Springs Demons ended Saturday.
Playing on home turf at Stubler Memorial Field, Glenwood Springs lost a 13-9 decision to Delta in a Class 3A state quarterfinal playoff game. The loss eliminated the last area high school football team from the postseason.
Glenwood Springs previously had defeated the Panthers, 15-7, in a regular-season game.
The Demons had opened the playoffs with a 14-13 victory at Elizabeth last weekend. Glenwood Springs finished the season 8-4.
Delta will advance to the semifinals and a game against Silver Creek, a 34-17 winner over Pueblo East on Saturday.
On Friday night, Palisade was eliminated in the Class 3A quarterfinals by The Classical Academy, 24-21. Palisade, coached by former Colorado Mesa University head coach Joe Ramunno, finished the season 10-2. Ramunno returned this season to Palisade High School, where he had won four consecutive state championships before taking over at the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference NCAA Div. II school.
Recommended Stories For You
The Classical Academy, of Colorado Springs, will play Roosevelt or Coronado in the 3A semis.
In the Class 2A state football playoffs, the team that beat Aspen in the first round will play for the state championship next weekend.
Faith Christian (10-2) upset No. 1 and previously undefeated Brush on Saturday. The Eagles, who beat Aspen, 49-14, in the first round, beat the Beetdiggers, 24-14, in a state semifinal played in Brush.
Faith Christian broke a 14-14 tie in the second half to hand the Beetdiggers their first loss of the season.
The Eagles, who have won four state titles in the last decade, will take on Platte Valley (10-1) in next week's 2A state title game. Platte Valley (Kersey) upset No. 2 and previously undefeated Manitou Springs on Saturday, 13-7.
In Class 1A, two schools who normally battle for the state wrestling championship will play for the state football crown next week.
Paonia (11-1) defeated previously unbeaten Buena Vista, 28-14, in Saturday's state semifinals.
Fellow wrestling power Centauri (11-1) ousted Limon, 21-8, in the other state semifinal played at Centauri, located in La Jara (south of Alamosa).
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Update: Service being restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’