Coal Ridge wins on Basalt sr. night
February 6, 2018
Following a tightly-contested first half that saw the Coal Ridge Titans' boys basketball team holding a slim four-point lead at the half Tuesday night in Basalt against the Longhorns, the Titans turned to standout junior pivot Kevin DiMarco in the second half, riding the junior's size advantage in the paint to a big 71-58 win in 3A Western Slope League play.
In the fourth quarter, DiMarco scored 14 of Coal Ridge's 16 points, allowing the Titans to pull away for a key league win against the Longhorns. On the night, DiMarco finished with a game-high 22 points, with 16 of his 22 coming in the second half. Along with DiMarco, junior guard Brandon Herrera poured in 15 points as the Titans saw four scorers finish in double figures. Senior center Connor Detlefsen finished with 11 points for Coal Ridge, while junior forward Payton White added 10 points in the win.
For Basalt, Wylie Hawkins led the way with 21 points, including 9 points in the second quarter, while Justin Henderson added 19 points for the Longhorns. The BHS boys fell to 4-12 on the season.
Coal Ridge (13-2, 6-0 3A WSL) will host Aspen Friday night in 3A Western Slope League action.
COAL RIDGE 65, BASALT 50
Recommended Stories For You
A big fourth quarter from freshman center Taylor Wiescamp propelled the Coal Ridge Titans' girls basketball team to a much-needed 65-50 win Tuesday night in Basalt against the Longhorns in 3A Western Slope League action.
Wiescamp scored 12 of her game-high 22 points in the fourth quarter for the Titans, hitting four field goals and two free throws down the stretch as the Titans scored 23 points in the final frame to pull away for the league win.
Along with Wiescamp, junior guard Sam Dunn had a big night for the Titans, scoring 10 points, of which six came in the second quarter. Junior guard Alyssa Wenzel chipped in with 9 points for Coal Ridge, while senior guard Santana Martinez scored 8 points for the Titans.
For Basalt, guard Kate Schrock led the Longhorns with 11 points, hitting three 3-pointers in the loss, while Nicole Alvardo and Sam Kummer added 8 points each. Michelle Marshall chipped in with 9 points in the loss for Basalt. The BHS girls fell to 4-12 on the season. Basalt will close out the regular season with three straight road games, beginning Friday at Grand Valley.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- X Games returns to Aspen this week with new medals, new snowboarding event
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins Cortina super-G, her third win in discipline this season
- ‘Time to listen to my body’: Lindsey Vonn may be in too much pain to continue on
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Welcome to the craziness that is X Games week
- Mikaela Shiffrin shows she’s ready to take over from idol Lindsey Vonn
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche