Clayton Crawford leads Aspen golf team to runner-up finish at Lakota
August 13, 2013
Clayton Crawford played three extra holes Monday in the Coal Ridge Invitational at Lakota Golf Club in New Castle.
The Aspen High School senior tied for top honors in regulation at the prep tournament with a round of 76.
He and Tony Clark, of Vail Christian, finished in a tie and went to hole No. 10 for a playoff. Crawford nearly won on the first playoff hole when his 40-foot putt rolled right up to the cup. But the two halved the hole and played No. 10 again.
Crawford recovered from an errant tee shot and again halved the hole with Clark.
The two played No. 11 next. Both players had 5-foot putts. Clark drained his uphill putt. Crawford's sidehill putt just missed, with Clark taking medalist honors.
"It was some great golf," Aspen coach Mary Woulfe said. "It was exciting."
Recommended Stories For You
Will Hazen added an 81, and Trey Robinson added an 88 to give the Skiers a second-place total of 245 stokes. Vail Christian won with 235. Vail Mountain finished third, one stroke behind Aspen.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border