Clayton Crawford leads Aspen golf team to runner-up finish at Lakota
August 13, 2013
Clayton Crawford played three extra holes Monday in the Coal Ridge Invitational at Lakota Golf Club in New Castle.
The Aspen High School senior tied for top honors in regulation at the prep tournament with a round of 76.
He and Tony Clark, of Vail Christian, finished in a tie and went to hole No. 10 for a playoff. Crawford nearly won on the first playoff hole when his 40-foot putt rolled right up to the cup. But the two halved the hole and played No. 10 again.
Crawford recovered from an errant tee shot and again halved the hole with Clark.
The two played No. 11 next. Both players had 5-foot putts. Clark drained his uphill putt. Crawford's sidehill putt just missed, with Clark taking medalist honors.
"It was some great golf," Aspen coach Mary Woulfe said. "It was exciting."
Recommended Stories For You
Will Hazen added an 81, and Trey Robinson added an 88 to give the Skiers a second-place total of 245 stokes. Vail Christian won with 235. Vail Mountain finished third, one stroke behind Aspen.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- What’s the Big Deal: Snowmass condo sale nears $3.8 million