Canada’s Manuel Osborne-Paradis wins super G
November 29, 2009
LAKE LOUISE, Alberta – Canada’s Manuel Osborne-Paradis won the season-opening super-giant slalom Sunday for his second career World Cup victory.
Osborne-Paradis, from Invermere, British Columbia, finished in 1 minute, 32.93 seconds. He also won a downhill event last season in Norway.
“Wow. Did anybody else expect this? Because I didn’t,” Osborne-Paradis said. “I just pushed it. I made lots of mistakes, but I made sure the skis were always running cleanly and down the fault line and it worked out. It worked out really well.”
Austria’s Benjamin Raich finished second, 0.24 seconds behind Osborne-Paradis. Austria’s Michael Walchhofer was third.
Ted Ligety was the top American, finishing eighth in 1:33.87. Andrew Weibrecht was 12th, and Marco Sullivan finished 15th.
Canada’s John Kucera broke his left leg in a crash and was airlifted off the course. Alpine Canada said he would undergo surgery.
Recommended Stories For You
Osborne-Paradis did his best to celebrate the victory, spraying his teammates with champagne, while expressing concern about Kucera.
“That was the toughest part, I think,” Osborne-Paradis said. “You’re in the lead, but then you’re obviously looking at your buddy who you train with all the time. It’s a sad thing to see.”
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Preps: Aspen hockey ties Resurrection; basketball swept at Grand Valley
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Willoughby: The split personality of Aspen Mountain’s Spar Gulch
- How to see the super blood wolf moon on Sunday