Briefs: Aspen golf wins in Gunnison
September 12, 2018
LED BY HUGHES, ASPEN BOYS GOLF WINS IN GUNNISON
The Aspen High School boys golf team won yet another tournament on Wednesday, this one having a bit more meaning to it than previous wins as it was held at Dos Rios Golf Club in Gunnison, which will host next week's regional tournament.
The Skiers shot a collective 2-over-par 215 to win the tournament by 28 strokes over Delta. Montrose was third, followed by Summit in fourth place.
AHS senior Jack Hughes was the low medalist, shooting 3-under 68 to beat Telluride's Carlo Pine by two strokes. Aspen junior Jack Pevny was third at even par, while AHS senior Dominic Lanese was fourth at 5-over. Aspen's Colter Zwieg was sixth at 6-over and Dawson Holmes seventh at 7-over.
The Skiers also won the junior varsity portion of the tournament.
Aspen is scheduled to compete Thursday at Keystone Ranch, its final regular-season tournament. The regional tournament will be held Monday back at Dos Rios, while the state tournament is scheduled for Oct. 1 and 2 in Boulder.
Recommended Stories For You
BASALT BOYS TENNIS FALLS AT VAIL MOUNTAIN
The Basalt High School boys tennis team took a 6-1 defeat at Vail Mountain on Wednesday.
The Longhorns' lone win came at No. 1 singles with David Zalinski winning 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 over Ripley Stone.
Basalt is scheduled to compete Sept. 19 at Grand Junction.
ASPEN AND BASALT VOLLEYBALL PART OF BUSY NIGHT
The Aspen High School volleyball team is scheduled to host Basalt at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in its home opener. Aspen's only match so far is a 3-0 win over Roaring Fork last week. Basalt is 2-5 overall.
Also Thursday, the Basalt boys soccer team is scheduled to host Grand Junction at 4 p.m. BHS is 1-4 and GJ is 2-1-1.
On the road is Aspen boys soccer, which is playing at Delta. AHS is 2-1 while Delta is 3-1-1 and ranked No. 7 in Class 3A. The Panthers were the 3A Western Slope League runner-ups a year ago, with Aspen playing to a scoreless draw against them in their lone meeting.
Aspen soccer has another big game on Saturday when it hosts No. 4 Roaring Fork on the AHS turf.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football wraps up non-league play at Grand Valley, BHS at Paonia
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility