Briefs: Aspen golf wins in Gunnison
September 12, 2018
LED BY HUGHES, ASPEN BOYS GOLF WINS IN GUNNISON
The Aspen High School boys golf team won yet another tournament on Wednesday, this one having a bit more meaning to it than previous wins as it was held at Dos Rios Golf Club in Gunnison, which will host next week's regional tournament.
The Skiers shot a collective 2-over-par 215 to win the tournament by 28 strokes over Delta. Montrose was third, followed by Summit in fourth place.
AHS senior Jack Hughes was the low medalist, shooting 3-under 68 to beat Telluride's Carlo Pine by two strokes. Aspen junior Jack Pevny was third at even par, while AHS senior Dominic Lanese was fourth at 5-over. Aspen's Colter Zwieg was sixth at 6-over and Dawson Holmes seventh at 7-over.
The Skiers also won the junior varsity portion of the tournament.
Aspen is scheduled to compete Thursday at Keystone Ranch, its final regular-season tournament. The regional tournament will be held Monday back at Dos Rios, while the state tournament is scheduled for Oct. 1 and 2 in Boulder.
Recommended Stories For You
BASALT BOYS TENNIS FALLS AT VAIL MOUNTAIN
The Basalt High School boys tennis team took a 6-1 defeat at Vail Mountain on Wednesday.
The Longhorns' lone win came at No. 1 singles with David Zalinski winning 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 over Ripley Stone.
Basalt is scheduled to compete Sept. 19 at Grand Junction.
ASPEN AND BASALT VOLLEYBALL PART OF BUSY NIGHT
The Aspen High School volleyball team is scheduled to host Basalt at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in its home opener. Aspen's only match so far is a 3-0 win over Roaring Fork last week. Basalt is 2-5 overall.
Also Thursday, the Basalt boys soccer team is scheduled to host Grand Junction at 4 p.m. BHS is 1-4 and GJ is 2-1-1.
On the road is Aspen boys soccer, which is playing at Delta. AHS is 2-1 while Delta is 3-1-1 and ranked No. 7 in Class 3A. The Panthers were the 3A Western Slope League runner-ups a year ago, with Aspen playing to a scoreless draw against them in their lone meeting.
Aspen soccer has another big game on Saturday when it hosts No. 4 Roaring Fork on the AHS turf.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Season likely over for Basalt’s Torin Yater-Wallace after Dew Tour injury
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7