Briefs: AHS golf second at Adobe Creek, BHS football debuts at No. 9
August 13, 2018
The Aspen High School boys golf team finished second Monday, Aug. 13, at a tournament hosted by Fruita Monument at Adobe Creek National Golf Course. The Skiers shot a collective 221, losing by two strokes to Class 5A Fruita, while Palisade came in third out of 10 schools, shooting 241.
Aspen senior Dominic Lanese was the low medalist, shooting a 2-under-par 70, with Fruita's Blake Andersen a shot back in second. It was Lanese's second tournament win in as many tries after he also won the season-opener on Friday at Devil's Thumb in Delta.
AHS junior Jack Pevny was among three, the others being a pair of Fruita players, to tie for third with a 74. Aspen senior Dawson Holmes shot 77, while senior Colter Zwieg and freshman Nic Pevny each shot 79. The best round of the day actually came from AHS senior Jack Hughes, who competed in the small junior varsity portion after only re-joining the team this week due to a tournament in California. He shot 67.
The Skiers are back at it Tuesday with a tournament at Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction. Basalt High School, which didn't play Monday, is expected to compete in Tuesday’s tournament, as well.
Both teams are then scheduled to play Wednesday at Gypsum Creek before the Skiers host their lone home tournament of the regular season on Friday at Aspen Golf Club.
BASALT FOOTBALL DEBUTS AT NO. 9 IN CLASS 2A
Recommended Stories For You
The preseason rankings were released Monday by CHSAANow.com, and the Basalt High School football team topped the list for local squads. The Longhorns, the two-time reigning Class 2A Western Slope League champions, enter at No. 9 in 2A this fall. Basalt opens the season Aug. 31 at home against Olathe, which is receiving votes in the 1A poll.
Aspen High School, fresh off an 8-2 season, did not receive any votes to be ranked. The Skiers open their season Aug. 24 at Meeker, which is ranked preseason No. 5 in 1A. Aspen's second game is Sept. 8 at preseason No. 1 Bayfield, the defending 2A state champions.
Powerhouse Rifle, which came down from 3A to join the 2A WSL this fall, is preseason No. 6. The Bears even received one first-place vote.
- The Aspen volleyball team will open the season receiving a few votes in Class 3A. Rival Coal Ridge is preseason No. 7 and the undisputed league favorite.
- The only other valley team to receive a ranking is Roaring Fork High School, which enters as the No. 10 team in Class 3A for boys soccer. Neither Aspen nor Basalt received any votes in boys soccer or softball.
- Cross country, golf and tennis are not included in the preseason polls.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Calgary vote shakes up 2026, 2030 Winter Olympic bid game again
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire