Boys tennis: Aspen splits road matches
September 26, 2015
The Aspen High School boys tennis team traveled to Steamboat Springs for a three-way test with Vail Mountain School and host Steamboat Springs on Friday.
But the Aspen seniors stayed home for their test — ACT preps.
Aspen head coach Gary Quandt said the team brought up several junior varsity players to fill in for the five seniors who were involved in the ACT testing.
"We still managed to defeat Vail Mountain 4-3," Quandt said. "And we dropped a close decision to Steamboat 4-3."
In those matches, he said the Skiers got wins from the No. 1 and No. 3 singles spots as well as the No. 1 doubles position.
The No. 1 doubles team of Keegan Mehall and Gabe Suarez pulled out two three-set matches with both third sets decided in tiebreakers, Quandt said.
Recommended Stories For You
"The are playing some very good doubles at this point in the season and should be the top-ranked doubles team going into the regionals," Quandt said.
The No. 4 doubles team of Chris Gregory and Cory Barel also had a win against Vail Mountain.
The Aspen boys were coming off a big 4-3 win over powerhouse Grand Junction earlier this week.
Because of scheduling and the fall ex-ed trip, the AHS boys tennis team will be off until a trip to Denver on Oct. 2-3 for matches against Dawson School and Palmer Ridge.
Aspen 4, Vail Mountain 3
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Jake Singleton (VMS) 6-0, 6-1
No. 2 singles: Kevin Kolkus (VMS) def. Zane Engels (A) 6-0, 6-1
No. 3 singles: Alex Illic (A) def. Ty Michonski (VMS) 6-0, 6-0
No. 1 doubles: Keegan Mehall/Gabe Suarez (A) def.March Keane/David Stearns (VMS) 6-2, 4-6, 10-3
No. 2 doubles: Branden Keane/Trace Landrem (VMS) def. Anders Pekalla/Carver Brown (A) 6-0, 6-1
No. 3 doubles: Ryan Dewey/Jacob Turtletaub (VMS) def. Dylan DeGraff/Nolan Farrey (A) 6-2, 6-2
No. 4 doubles: Chris Gregory/Cory Barel (A) def. Taylor Peterson/Kelby Dennison (VMS) 6-1, 6-0
Steamboat 4, Aspen 3
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Teague Burger (SS) 6-4, 6-1
No. 2 singles: Charlie Smith (SS) def. Nolan Farrey (A) 6-0, 6-0
No. 3 singles: Alex Illic (A) def. Chuck Adams (SS) 7-6, 7-5
No. 1 doubles: Keegan Mehall/Gabe Suarez (A) def. Joe Borguding/Matthew White (SS) 2-6, 6-4, 11-9
No. 2 doubles: Max Lynch/Ethan Paulus (SS) def. Nathan Bush/Carver Brown (A) 6-0, 6-0
No. 3 doubles: Nolan Cannel/Riuu Fox-Welch (SS) def. Dylan DeGraff/Zane Engels (A) 6-3, 6-1
No. 4 doubles: Jack Bender/Peter Whuton (SS) def. Chris Gregory/Cory Barel (A) 6-1, 6-4
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Birds of Prey ski races are officially a go in December at Beaver Creek
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director