Boys tennis: Aspen splits road matches
September 26, 2015
The Aspen High School boys tennis team traveled to Steamboat Springs for a three-way test with Vail Mountain School and host Steamboat Springs on Friday.
But the Aspen seniors stayed home for their test — ACT preps.
Aspen head coach Gary Quandt said the team brought up several junior varsity players to fill in for the five seniors who were involved in the ACT testing.
"We still managed to defeat Vail Mountain 4-3," Quandt said. "And we dropped a close decision to Steamboat 4-3."
In those matches, he said the Skiers got wins from the No. 1 and No. 3 singles spots as well as the No. 1 doubles position.
The No. 1 doubles team of Keegan Mehall and Gabe Suarez pulled out two three-set matches with both third sets decided in tiebreakers, Quandt said.
Recommended Stories For You
"The are playing some very good doubles at this point in the season and should be the top-ranked doubles team going into the regionals," Quandt said.
The No. 4 doubles team of Chris Gregory and Cory Barel also had a win against Vail Mountain.
The Aspen boys were coming off a big 4-3 win over powerhouse Grand Junction earlier this week.
Because of scheduling and the fall ex-ed trip, the AHS boys tennis team will be off until a trip to Denver on Oct. 2-3 for matches against Dawson School and Palmer Ridge.
Aspen 4, Vail Mountain 3
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Jake Singleton (VMS) 6-0, 6-1
No. 2 singles: Kevin Kolkus (VMS) def. Zane Engels (A) 6-0, 6-1
No. 3 singles: Alex Illic (A) def. Ty Michonski (VMS) 6-0, 6-0
No. 1 doubles: Keegan Mehall/Gabe Suarez (A) def.March Keane/David Stearns (VMS) 6-2, 4-6, 10-3
No. 2 doubles: Branden Keane/Trace Landrem (VMS) def. Anders Pekalla/Carver Brown (A) 6-0, 6-1
No. 3 doubles: Ryan Dewey/Jacob Turtletaub (VMS) def. Dylan DeGraff/Nolan Farrey (A) 6-2, 6-2
No. 4 doubles: Chris Gregory/Cory Barel (A) def. Taylor Peterson/Kelby Dennison (VMS) 6-1, 6-0
Steamboat 4, Aspen 3
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Teague Burger (SS) 6-4, 6-1
No. 2 singles: Charlie Smith (SS) def. Nolan Farrey (A) 6-0, 6-0
No. 3 singles: Alex Illic (A) def. Chuck Adams (SS) 7-6, 7-5
No. 1 doubles: Keegan Mehall/Gabe Suarez (A) def. Joe Borguding/Matthew White (SS) 2-6, 6-4, 11-9
No. 2 doubles: Max Lynch/Ethan Paulus (SS) def. Nathan Bush/Carver Brown (A) 6-0, 6-0
No. 3 doubles: Nolan Cannel/Riuu Fox-Welch (SS) def. Dylan DeGraff/Zane Engels (A) 6-3, 6-1
No. 4 doubles: Jack Bender/Peter Whuton (SS) def. Chris Gregory/Cory Barel (A) 6-1, 6-4
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Briefs: Basalt softball splits with Rifle, awaits Delta in key league games
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman