Boys tennis: Aspen ready for regional tourney
October 6, 2015
The Aspen Skiers are heading to regionals.
The Aspen High School boys tennis team will compete in the Regional Championships this week in Grand Junction.
The Skiers, coached by Gary Quandt, are the defending regional champions out to make it two in a row.
The Aspen boys wrapped up the regular season with two matches in the Denver area last weekend.
After an extended break than included ex-ed, the Skiers played Dawson School and Palmer Ridge. Aspen was without several doubles players, who had to stay in Aspen to take the SAT test last weekend.
Aspen lost both matches 4-3, sweeping the singles and losing all the doubles matches.
Recommended Stories For You
"Against Dawson, the three singles spots only gave up 11 games in the three matches," Quandt said, adding that the Aspen doubles lost a close three-set match at No. 1.
He said the Aspen singles players gave up only nine games in the matches against Palmer Ridge.
Aspen finished the regular season 4-3 in dual matches.
The Skiers will play in the state-qualifying regional tournament Thursday and Friday in Grand Junction.
They will attempt to qualify for the State Tennis Championships in Pueblo on Oct. 15-17.
Dawson 4, Aspen 3
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Connor Larson (D) 6-1, 6-3
No. 2 singles: Henry Godfrey (A) def. Gawyn Pure (D) 6-2, 6-0
No. 3 singles: Alex Ilic (A) def. Skyler D'Apuzzo (D) 6-3, 6-2
No. 1 doubles: Jaxckson Kegel/Max McClellan (D) def. Keegan Mehall/Gabe Suarez (A) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
No. 2 doubles: Cade McCellan/Ben Hawson (D) def Andy Vernier/Dylan DeGraff (A) 6-1, 6-4
No. 3 doubles: Seth Clemente/Finn JOnes (D) def Gage Carr/Victor Dunn (A) 6-3, 6-2
No. 4 doubles: Ryan Otto/Sam Troughton (D) def Zane Engels/Chris Gregory (A) 6-1, 6-1
Palmer Ridge 4, Aspen 3
No. 1 singles: Dillon Leasure (A) def. Lain Roy PR) 6-0, 6-4
No. 2 singles: Henry Godfrey (A) def. Kyle Rex (PR) 6-0, 6-3
No. 3 singles: Alex Ilic (A) def. Tucker Bauman (PR) 6-1, 6-1
No. 1 doubles: Marc Lacrampe/Nick Hill (PR) def. Keegan Mehall/Gabe Suarez (A) 6-4, 6-4
No. 2 doubles: Zach & Ricky Wilcox (PR) def Andy Vernier/Dylan DeGraff (A) 6-2, 6-4
No. 3 doubles: Patrick Towley/Ben Capick (PR) def Gage Carr/Victor Dunn (A) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen football cruises by Cedaredge in home opener, 48-12; Basalt also rolls
- All involved show that Run Rabbit Run ultra race is bigger than themselves
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- What’s the Big Deal: Nearly $11 million for Aspen condo
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions