Boys golf: Aspen targets regional tourney
September 26, 2015
The Skiers are headed to regionals.
The Aspen High School boys golf team, after a rigorous qualifying process, will tee off Monday and Tuesday in the Class 3A Regional Golf Championships at Haymaker Golf Club in Steamboat Springs.
Aspen head coach Mary Woulfe said it was a very difficult decision to determine the four AHS players who will compete at regionals. Several additional players were deserving.
But, she said, the team has to select four golfers for the 3A playoffs.
Aspen will be represented by returning state-qualifiers Will Hazen and Burke Daily.
Hazen won the final regular-season prep tournament at the Vail Golf Club last week. He won the Vail Mountain School Invitational with a round of 73, helping the Skiers win the team title at Vail. Daily added a 79 for the victorious Skiers. Colter Zwieg added an 82. Dominic Lanese shot a 75 and finished third individually.
Recommended Stories For You
Aspen totaled 234 for the Vail win.
Host Vail Mountain School was second with a 240.
Basalt finished third at 243, led by a 76 from Holden Kleager.
Drew Broadhurst shot 80. Linc Kleager shot 87 for the Longhorns.
"We go to regionals with two experienced state players in Will Hazen and Burke Daily," Woulfe said. "Burke also has the experience of being on a state championship lacrosse team."
Burke and the Skiers won the 4A state lacrosse title last spring, the first time a mountain school has won the state lacrosse crown.
Woulfe said Lanese secured his spot on the regional team with his season scoring average.
The final decision for the fourth spot came down to Zwieg and Jack Hughes.
"Colter Zwieg and Jack Hughes were separated by an incredibly close margin for regular-season play," Woulfe said.
After additional playoff rounds, Hughes nabbed the fourth spot by an eyelash.
"It broke my heart to tell Colter, knowing how well he has played this season," the Aspen head coach said. "It was a narrow margin, but Jack earned it."
She said that even though Zwieg will not play at regionals, he still is a valuable part of the Aspen team.
Lanese will join the team at regionals after competing this weekend in the Drive, Chip and Putt Sectionals at Torrey Pines in California.
"This is a terrific group to take to regionals and hopefully onto the state tournament at Eagle Ranch," Woulfe said. "But it's hard to see at least five other guys who were all good enough to make the state championships as an individual. Hard choices. No perfect answer."
The Skiers will play two rounds at the regional event in Steamboat Springs with 18 holes Monday and 18 more Tuesday. The players will be out to earn spots in the Class 3A State Golf Championships at Eagle Ranch.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow