Boys basketball: Basalt beats Gunnison
January 16, 2016
The Basalt High School boys basketball team swept both games of a Western Slope League weekend.
The Longhorns, after a big Friday night victory over Moffat County, doubled up Saturday with a commanding 58-31 win over visiting Gunnison.
"We came out and played with composure," Basalt head coach Danny Martinez said. "Our defense again was solid."
The Longhorns limited Gunnison to only eight points in the first half.
Basalt's Mike Glen scored 21 points to lead all scorers.
Raul Torres scored 12 for Basalt. Pedro Rivera added eight; Pablo Rivera scored seven.
Recommended Stories For You
Wade Soho added four, and Kyle Roberts scored three as Basalt improved to 6-1 overall and 4-1 in league.
"It's nice to get back to back wins," Martinez said.
Gunnison moved to 3-5 overall, 1-2 in the Western Slope League.
The Basalt boys face a big test next weekend with home games against Grand Valley on Friday and Aspen on Saturday.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- She Said, He Said: What makes Aspen the divorce capital of Colorado?
- Another winter storm expected to hit Aspen, Snowmass area Monday
- Aspen’s Alex Ferreira, Torin Yater-Wallace soar into Olympic ski pipe finals
- Mutual fund plummet blamed on Aspen homeowner’s firm
- Talk will expose sex trafficking’s reach into Aspen