Boys basketball: Aspen beats Eagle Valley in thriller
December 5, 2015
The Aspen High School boys basketball won its first game of the season Saturday with a thrilling 41-40 victory over Eagle Valley at the Brenda Patch Tournament in Carbondale.
Jack Rosenthal hit a 3-pointer for Aspen with 20 seconds to play to give the Skiers their first lead of the game — and their final lead of the game.
"Jack had been struggling with his shot in the first two games, but he came through at the end for us today," AHS head coach Rolf Schildman said.
Schildman said they drew up a play for Rosenthal.
"He knocked it down with 20 seconds to go," Schildman said. "We led for 20 seconds. Fortunately, it was the last 20 seconds."
He said the Skiers "came out really tight to start the game. The ball wasn't falling for us, and we were rushing things."
Recommended Stories For You
After trailing by seven at halftime, the Skiers started to rally.
"In the fourth quarter, Will Hazen had seven big points for us," Schildman said. Hazen finished with 10 points.
Rosenthal led the way with 13 points.
AJ Detrick added seven; Tristan Niskanen scored three.
"James Kistner has been giving us some great minutes," Schildman said, adding that Kistner scored six in Aspen's victory. "This was good for the team. It gives us some momentum."
The Skiers (1-1) will host Hotchkiss on Thursday night.
The Aspen High School girls basketball team, struggling from the field, dropped a 54-17 decision to Class 4A Rifle on Saturday at the Brenda Patch Tournament in Carbondale.
The AHS girls are 0-2 to start the season.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance