BHS girls net two league wins
April 9, 2002
The Basalt High girls soccer team plowed through two Class 3A Western Slope League rivals recently with a 5-0 rout of the Colorado Rocky Mountain School on Thursday and a 6-1 beating of Eagle Valley on Saturday.
With the wins, the defending Class 3A Western Slope League champions improved to 4-1 overall on the season and 3-0 in league play.
“We had some team bonding on Friday, and Saturday they came out and played the best I’ve seen ’em play,” said Basalt coach Heather Walker. “Every single player played as hard as they could.”
On Thursday, in Basalt’s home opener against CRMS, junior Mariah Mulcahy opened the scoring for the Longhorns before sophomore Ashley Eaton added a pair of goals and sophomore Ukare Sano and senior Molly McGrath added the fourth and fifth goals.
Sophomore goalie Autumn Caughern recorded her first career shutout in the 5-0 Basalt victory.
On Saturday at Eagle Valley, Basalt quickly tallied five goals in the first half.
Recommended Stories For You
“We scored in the first two minutes and then it was one goal after another,” Walker said. “We anticipated a hard game” – Eagle Valley did beat Aspen 4-3 last Thursday, the coach noted – “so we were a little surprised, but I’m sure Eagle Valley will come out much harder the next time.”
Mulcahy opened the scoring again on Saturday for Basalt, punching in the first of two goals on the day. Stephanie Kemp, Lauren Flood, McGrath and Eaton each found the back of the net once, and Eaton, Kemp and McGrath (2) also contributed assists.
“We had a little team discussion after school Friday, then had team dinner, and we talked about different issues,” said Walker, who led BHS to its first-ever state playoff final-four appearance last season. “And I guess it went pretty well. We couldn’t be mad at anybody after Saturday.
“If we can play every game like we did Saturday, I’d be more than happy,” the coach continued. “It’s just keeping that intensity up for the rest of the season that we’ve got to do now.”
Today at 4 p.m. at the BHS field, the Lady Longhorns host Olathe, a team that lost to Aspen 8-0 on April 2.
Aspen hosts Glenwood Springs
The Aspen High girls soccer team, the runner-up to Basalt in the Class 3A Western Slope League standings last season, hosts its home opener today against Glenwood Springs.
Aspen, 2-1 on the season, is slated to kick off with Glenwood at 4 p.m. today at the Aspen Middle School field, located inside the track on the Aspen schools campus.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- With braces on both knees, Lindsey Vonn struggles in first race of season
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow