Basketball: Basalt boys roll
December 13, 2015
The Basalt High School boys basketball team got off to a fast start with a big win over visiting Delta in the first game of the season for the Longhorns.
The Basalt boys, with scoring all around, added a strong defensive effort in a 53-26 win over the Class 4A Panthers on Saturday.
"It was a really good team win for us," Basalt head coach Danny Martinez said. "We played great defense. I had a lot of guys who stepped up."
Mike Glen and Wade Soho, both returning from last year, led the Longhorns in scoring.
Glen scored a game-high 18 points. Soho scored 14 for the Longhorns (1-0).
Pablo Rivera scored eight points ,as did Raul Torres.
Recommended Stories For You
Pedro Rivera added two.
"Overall, our defense was really pretty good," Martinez said after the Basalt boys led from the start. "Kyle Roberts stepped up and showed a lot of poise on our offense."
The Basalt boys will be back on the court Thursday when they host rival Roaring Fork at 7 p.m.
Basalt will travel to Cedaredge on Saturday for the final game before the holiday break.
Basalt will open 2016 with a key Western Slope League game at Coal Ridge in New Castle.
The Basalt girls basketball team opened the season with a hard-fought 61-47 loss to Delta.
The girls also will host Roaring Fork on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Austria’s Marcel Hirscher wins men’s World Cup slalom opener in Finland
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases