Basketball: Basalt boys extend unbeaten streak
December 19, 2015
The Basalt High School boys basketball team will charge into the holiday break with momentum — and a perfect record.
The Longhorns pushed their unbeaten start to 3-0 on Saturday at Cedaredge with a 64-46 nonconference victory.
"In the first half, we played a great half," Basalt head coach Danny Martinez said.
But foul trouble slowed them a bit in the second half, he said.
"And I still like our defense," Martinez said.
Raul Torres stepped up with a season-high 20 points for the Basalt boys.
Recommended Stories For You
Mike Glen scored 20 points and pulled down 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.
Wade Soho sored nine in the Basalt victory.
Pedro Rivera scored five.
Ian Lumsden and Miles Levy added two each for the unbeaten Longhorns.
The Cedaredge boys are 3-3 after the loss to Basalt.
"This is a really good way to go into the break," Martinez said as the Longhorns head to the holidays. "Good way to go into (league play)."
The Basalt boys will be back on the court Jan. 5 for the first Western Slope League game of the season at Coal Ridge in New Castle.
On Jan. 9, Basalt will play at Roaring Fork in another league game. The Longhorns defeated Roaring Fork, 60-34, earlier this season.
The next home game for the Basalt boys will be Jan. 15 when Moffat County visits the Big House.
Basalt will host Gunnison on Jan. 16.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Mikaela Shiffrin finally conquers elusive giant slalom in Italy for 53rd career win