Basalt wrestling starts season with Salida
December 1, 2016
The Basalt High School wrestling team will get its season underway today with a dual at Salida, before traveling to the Buena Vista Dual Tournament on Saturday.
Despite the graduation of state qualifier Olmer Marquez, the Longhorns look poised to have its best season since the program returned five years ago.
"This is a team that is finally ready to turn the corner," Basalt coach Ryan Bradley wrote in an email. "With a solid lineup filling all 14 weight classes and with several backups that will be working into the varsity lineup, it should be a great year for Basalt."
Key to their success this season will be the return of three regional placers from a year ago: senior heavyweight Oswaldo Morales, 195-pound junior William Rivera, and 120-pound sophomore Zach Pagan.
According to Bradley, other standout returners this season include 170-pound junior Alex Alberto and 182-pound junior Thomas Wirth.
The Longhorns have one home date before the holiday break, a triangular on Dec. 14 against Cedaredge and Moffat County. Basalt also hosts a dual with Rifle on Jan. 31.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen football cruises by Cedaredge in home opener, 48-12; Basalt also rolls
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- What’s the Big Deal: Nearly $11 million for Aspen condo