Basalt wrestling starts season with Salida
December 1, 2016
The Basalt High School wrestling team will get its season underway today with a dual at Salida, before traveling to the Buena Vista Dual Tournament on Saturday.
Despite the graduation of state qualifier Olmer Marquez, the Longhorns look poised to have its best season since the program returned five years ago.
"This is a team that is finally ready to turn the corner," Basalt coach Ryan Bradley wrote in an email. "With a solid lineup filling all 14 weight classes and with several backups that will be working into the varsity lineup, it should be a great year for Basalt."
Key to their success this season will be the return of three regional placers from a year ago: senior heavyweight Oswaldo Morales, 195-pound junior William Rivera, and 120-pound sophomore Zach Pagan.
According to Bradley, other standout returners this season include 170-pound junior Alex Alberto and 182-pound junior Thomas Wirth.
The Longhorns have one home date before the holiday break, a triangular on Dec. 14 against Cedaredge and Moffat County. Basalt also hosts a dual with Rifle on Jan. 31.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- AVSC skier Kate Oldham named to U18 national team for Scando Cup in Estonia
- Lindsey Vonn takes few risks in first downhill training run since injury
- Olympians Jeremy Abbott and Ashley Wagner back for Aspen Ice Spectacular
- Lindsey Vonn to finally start her injury-delayed ski season in Cortina
- Chris Corning’s creativity leads to a World Cup slopestyle win in Switzerland
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday
- Aspen School District cancels classes for Friday after overnight snow