Basalt wrestling starts season with Salida
December 1, 2016
The Basalt High School wrestling team will get its season underway today with a dual at Salida, before traveling to the Buena Vista Dual Tournament on Saturday.
Despite the graduation of state qualifier Olmer Marquez, the Longhorns look poised to have its best season since the program returned five years ago.
"This is a team that is finally ready to turn the corner," Basalt coach Ryan Bradley wrote in an email. "With a solid lineup filling all 14 weight classes and with several backups that will be working into the varsity lineup, it should be a great year for Basalt."
Key to their success this season will be the return of three regional placers from a year ago: senior heavyweight Oswaldo Morales, 195-pound junior William Rivera, and 120-pound sophomore Zach Pagan.
According to Bradley, other standout returners this season include 170-pound junior Alex Alberto and 182-pound junior Thomas Wirth.
The Longhorns have one home date before the holiday break, a triangular on Dec. 14 against Cedaredge and Moffat County. Basalt also hosts a dual with Rifle on Jan. 31.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Three Aspen High School golfers among those recognized on national signing day
- Aspen skier, 2018 Olympian Wiley Maple healthy, ready for World Cup season
- A family man now, Marcel Hirscher again favorite for World Cup crown
- Lindsey Vonn all set to charge after ski racing’s hallowed WC wins mark of 86
- Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire