Basalt softball wins two on Front Range
September 24, 2013
The Basalt High School softball team is rolling.
The Longhorns swept another road doubleheader on Saturday in Denver.
The Basalt girls overpowered Peak to Peak High School, 23-0.
In the second game in Denver on Saturday, the Longhorns rallied to beat Faith Christian, 13-9.
"We really did hit the ball well in the first game," Basalt head coach Colin Young said.
Cassidy Young pitched a no-hitter for Basalt in spite of six walks.
Recommended Stories For You
She also had four hits and drove in five runs for the Longhorns.
Gavin LaCroix drove in seven runs with three hits.
Brittany Driscoll collected a double among the Basalt hits.
In the second game, the Basalt coach said the Longhorns ran into the error bug.
"We had 11 errors on defense," Young said. "I had to call timeouts to settle them down. I've never coached in a game with 11 errors."
Faith Christian rallied to take the lead.
But Basalt scored three runs in each of the last two innings.
"Then, we shut them down. Morgan (Young) had two strikeouts to end the game. Again, we really hit the ball well," Colin Young said after the Longhorns improved to 9-3 overall.
Driscoll hammered two home runs and drove in five runs for Basalt.
LaCroix also homered in her four hits. She drove in three.
Keelie Roberts added three hits, and Kaity Johnson had a pair of hits.
Bailey Strobel hit .500 in the doubleheader, Young said.
"That kind of a comeback should be a springboard for the rest of the season," the Basalt head coach said.
The Longhorns will host Grand Valley at 4 p.m. Thursday before hosting Montrose in a Friday doubleheader, starting at 3 p.m.
The Basalt girls softball team will play at Gunnison on Saturday.
The Longhorns will host Rifle on Oct. 1 and play at Rifle on Oct. 3 to close the regular season.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Colbert’s Prep Playbook: Football power rankings going into Class 2A WSL play
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman
- Lawsuit: Deteriorating Snowmass-area house plagued by landslide zone