Basalt softball seeded No. 12 in Class 3A state playoffs
October 7, 2014
The Basalt High School softball team is back in the Class 3A state playoffs once again.
The Longhorns (12-6 overall) were seeded by CHSAA officials as the No. 12 team in the 18-team state field that is divided into six regional tournaments.
As the No. 12 seed, Basalt was assigned to the Region 1 tournament, hosted by No. 1 overall seed and defending state champion Strasburg (19-0).
The Longhorns, a composite team consisting of players from Basalt, Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork, will play No. 13 seed Lyons (8-11) in the first game of the regional tournament at 10 a.m. Saturday at Strasburg Recreation Field.
The winner will take on No. 1 Strasburg for the regional crown.
But the top two teams from the regional will advance to state.
Recommended Stories For You
A third game at regionals would be required if Strasburg loses in the second game.
Strasburg would play the other team then for the second state spot.
Valley (16-3) is the No. 2 overall seed for the 2014 bracket.
Valley will take on the winner of the first-round game between No. 11 Rocky Ford (13-5) and No. 14 The Academy (13-5).
La Junta (16-2) is the No. 3 overall seed. No. 10 Brush (10-9) will take on No. 15 Gunnison (10-9) with the winner playing La Junta.
Sterling (14-5) is the No. 4 seed.
No. 9 Cedaredge (14-5) will take on No. 16 Faith Christian (9-10), with the winner due to face Sterling.
Eaton (13-5) is the No. 5 seed.
Eaton will host and play the winner of No. 8 Burlington (12-7) vs. No. 17 Dolores Huerta Prep (9-10).
The final regional will feature No. 6 Lamar (13-6).
The regional will be played at Skyline High School in Longmont.
No. 7 Skyline will take on No. 18 Greeley Central (4-13-1) in the first round with the winner taking on Lamar.
For the Longhorns to advance to the state bracket, they must beat No. 13 Lyons in the regional opener Saturday morning.
The Longhorns hosted a regional last season at Basalt High School.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Colbert: What a wacky Monday
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Aspen on the Hill: Zombie people of the Rio Grande Trail
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites