Basalt softball advances to Class 3A state bracket
October 11, 2014
The Basalt High School softball team is moving on.
The Longhorns advanced to the Class 3A State Championship bracket after finishing second in the regional tournament Saturday at Strasburg.
The Longhorns, including players from Basalt, Glenwood Springs and Roaring Fork high schools, defeated No. 13 Lyons 12-11 for a dramatic victory in the opening game of the regional playoffs.
The victory ensured the Basalt softball team will move on to the final 3A state bracket of 12 teams.
The win sent the Longhorns to the regional title game later Saturday against No. 1 overall seed Strasburg, which maintained its perfect record with an 18-0 win over the Longhorns.
Strasburg, the two-time defending state champion, is 20-0.
Recommended Stories For You
Basalt, the No. 12 overall seed entering the regionals, moved to 13-7 with Saturday's split.
Strasburg will advance as the regional champion. Basalt will advance as a regional runner-up.
Cedaredge from the Western Slope League also advances to the final 12 with a 15-8 first-round win over Faith Christian on Saturday. No. 4 overall seed Sterling (15-5) won the regional title 14-0 over the Bruins (15-6).
No. 2 seed Valley (17-3) won its region with Rocky Ford (14-6) as the runner-up.
No. 3 seed La Junta (17-2) also won its region. Brush, a 16-5 winner over Gunnison, is the regional runner-up at 11-10.
No. 5 seed Eaton (14-5) defeated Burlington 10-2 in another regional final. Burlington (13-8) also will move to the round of 12 next week.
No. 6 seed Lamar (14-6) won its regional, shutting out Longmont Skyline 10-0 in the final. Skyline moves on at 16-5.
The final 12-team Classs 3A state bracket alignment will be announced Monday with play scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Aurora.
The Basalt Longhorns are coached by Colin Young.
The team includes Morgan Ash, Jamie Briscoe, Kate Shrock, Kaity Johnson, Britin Strobel, Jordan Banc, Bailey Strobel, Bree Kaler and Keelie Roberts from Basalt High School.
Freshman Megan Nieslanik from Roaring Fork High School also plays on the Basalt composite softball team.
And the team includes Jordan DeCrow, Cassidy Young and Carly Schimp from Glenwood Springs High School,
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- Gents rugby rallies, holds off Dark ‘n Stormy Misfits to win Aspen Ruggerfest
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Preps: Fork beats AHS boys soccer, volleyball sweeps in Saturday action
- Aspen boys golf wins regional title for 10th straight year; BHS takes second
- Aspen softball gets first win since 2009, beats Gunnison in shootout
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- What’s the Big Deal: Nearly $11 million for Aspen condo