Basalt soccer tees off on CRMS 5-0
September 11, 2002
The Basalt High boys soccer team improved to 2-0 in 3A Western Slope League play with a 5-0 win over the Colorado Rocky Mountain School (CRMS) Tuesday at the BHS field.
Basalt’s Ryan Thompson and Brady Kahn scored two goals each, and goalie Robbie Parker recorded his first varsity-career shutout.
“We had a lot of quick passing, knocking the ball around, getting a lot of crosses off and we managed to finish a couple of them,” said Basalt coach Erik Streff.
Basalt took a 2-0 advantage into the locker room at halftime on goals from Kahn and Thompson, assisted by Cy Eaton and Jake Rankin, respectively. The offensive theme continued for Basalt in the second as Spencer Cleveland figured into the scoring, assisted by Thompson. Kahn netted the fourth goal, off an assist from Mitchell Reed, and Thompson twined his second of the day on a play set up by Kahn.
“We looked pretty good. We’re starting to move more as a team offensively and defensively; there’s a lot more communication which makes it a lot easier,” Streff said.
With the win, Basalt improved to 2-0 in league play and 2-2 overall.
Recommended Stories For You
On Thursday, Basalt travels to face Paonia, a team that’s making its varsity debut this season.
“It’s a combination of players from Paonia, Cedaredge and Hotchkiss, so it’s hard to tell where they’re at,” Streff said. “We’ve just got to come out with our best game.”
On Saturday, Basalt hosts its second Denver-area team of the regular season, Faith Christian, at 11 a.m.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American