Basalt soccer heading to playoffs
October 22, 2013
The Basalt Longhorns will open the Class 3A boys soccer state playoffs the same way they opened the regular season — on the road against a familiar parochial foe.
The Basalt boys soccer team, seeded No. 14 in the 32-team Class 3A state field, will take on No. 19-seed Denver Christian (9-6-0) in a first-round playoff match set for 3 p.m. Friday at The Classical Academy in Colorado Springs.
No. 3 seed Classical Academy earned the host designation for the first and second rounds as one of the top eight 3A seeds in the state. Classical (14-1-0) will play No. 30 Vanguard Charter School (10-4-1), another Colorado Springs high school, in a first-round game at 5:30 p.m. Friday.
The two first-round winners will play at 1 p.m. Saturday at The Classical Academy to advance to the quarterfinals of Class 3A soccer Nov. 1.
Defending state champion Colorado Academy (Denver) is the No. 1 overall seed at 14-0-1.
Salida, the only team to beat The Classical Academy this year, is the No. 2 seed at 15-0-0.
Recommended Stories For You
Classical is No. 3 with Frontier Academy (Greeley) seeded No. 4.
Kent Denver (11-2-2) is the No. 5 seed.
Coal Ridge High School (New Castle) earned a host bid for the first and second rounds as the No. 6 overall seed. The Titans are 12-2-1.
Roaring Fork High School (Carbondale) also earned a 3A host site designation as the No. 8 seed (11-2-2).
No. 7 is Bruce Randolph (Denver), with an 11-1-2 record.
Coal Ridge will take on No. 27 Alexander Dawson (Lafayette) at 1 p.m. Friday at New Castle.
The Coal Ridge-Alexander Dawson winner will take on the winner of No. 11 Manitou Springs (12-3-0) vs. No. 22 Sheridan (8-5-2) in the second round.
Manitou and Sheridan will play at 3:30 p.m. Friday at Coal Ridge High School.
Saturday's winners game is set for 1 p.m.
No. 8 Roaring Fork will take on No. 25 Fountain Valley (8-6-1) at 6 p.m. Friday in Carbondale.
No. 9 Faith Christian (8-6-1)will take on No. 24 Telluride (11-2-0) in the other first-round game in Carbondale (4 p.m. Friday).
Basalt (9-5-10), back in the playoffs again this season under head coach Brent Hayes, will take on a Denver Christian team that was the opener on the schedule two months ago.
The Longhorns beat Denver Christian in a 2-1 contest on Aug. 30.
Denver Christian enters Friday's game with a five-game winning steak.
Basalt heads into the state playoffs off a 2-0 loss to Class 4A defending state champion Battle Mountain in a nonconference regular-season finale.
Prior, the Longhorns scored back-to-back wins over playoff teams Coal Ridge and Vail Mountain.
The Longhorns widespread offense produced 13 different goal-scorers this season, led by Juan Abrego and Darwin Orellana, who have five goals each.
Omar Contreras has four goals in only six games since rejoining the team.
Trending In: Sports & Outdoors
- A golden reunion: 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team reunites on the ice in Aspen
- Aspen football wins big at Grand Valley; Basalt shuts down Paonia to reach 4-0
- Carbondale’s DeMoor, Crested Butte’s Kremer win Golden Leaf Half Marathon
- Mercier: Lance Armstrong’s Wedu FIFTY is back for its third year
- Stirling Cup returns with 1998 women’s Olympic hockey team
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Update: Service being restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court